Q. I have been having excess phlegm for last two weeks. Is it throat cancer?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
Published on Jul 16, 2018

I have been having excess phlegm for the last two weeks. It is sometimes green in color or clear color. Phlegm comes sometimes when I am talking. There is also hoarseness of voice. I smoke cigarettes, although trying to quit. Have not smoked for three weeks. Can this be throat cancer? I am worried.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Throat cancer is the last diagnosis to be expected. Firstly, you have a bacterial infection revealed by the green sputum. So you have to take an antibiotic as Targo (Levofloxacin) 750 mg once daily for 10 days plus hot fluids. You must have an endoscopic examination of your larynx to detect the cause of hoarseness. Do not speak loudly and avoid spicy and cold foods. Show me the picture of the laryngoscope when you have it.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The only way to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection is to take a sample of the mucus generated and to culture it in order to identify the causative organism. Your doctor must have anticipated that your infection as bacterial as you responded well to antibi...  Read Full

I am having cough and running nose with green sputum following a headache. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been coughing and having running nose, sputum is light green with a distinctive taste while spitting. All this started with a headache and bad binge. Kindly help me with the next course of action.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rashi Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query. Regarding a cough and cold, it looks like you have acute pharyngitis. Take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once a day for a runny nose. It causes sleepiness in some people so you can take it before bedtime. But if a runny nose is troublesome you can tak...  Read Full