What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Q. What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Answered by
Dr. Bharat Udey
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regular boyfriends, then really I do not see statistically being any real chance of contracting HIV or any other STD. I too have had casual sex with a number of such girls. If I continue these activities with multiple partners of the same profile then chance of contracting HIV or STDs should be next to zero. Is this correct? In two situations like condom coming out or breaking, but the sex act being stopped immediately, what would be the chance of my contracting HIV or any other STD? What other immediate preventive measure should I take if the condom breaks or comes out other than stopping the act? Should I take Truvada immediately? If yes, for how many days should I take it to become effective? Does it become effective from day one? Can one take it few days before sexual intercourse and stop it in between and again restart it? Do I need to do any blood test for HIV or other STDs in case the condom breaks or slips out? If so, what are the blood tests that I need to do and with how many days gap? Is there any STD one can get from skin to skin contact without genital contact. Is there any STD one can get from accidental genital contact and what preventive measures should be taken if this happens? Can one get an STD from kissing?

Only once in my life, around two to three years back, I had intercourse without a condom. I had myself tested for HIV six months later and it turned out to be negative. I have not had any symptoms of any STDs, but should I still get myself tested for any STDs and if so, which test should I do? Which condom size should I use? My penis is 7 inches in length and 7.5 inches in girth. Do I use XL or XXL? I do not find any condom which supports 7.5 inch girth. What should I do in this case? It seems that if the partner is HIV+ then it would be a statistically low probability that with one sex act with protection? Would it not be better to take Truvada regularly to be on the safer side? What are the side effects of taking Truvada regularly even if one is not at high risk? Should I use any lubricant with the condom? Should I get a hepatitis B shot? I am not sure whether I have had the shot earlier.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

An unsafe sex increases the chance of contracting STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) as well as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). As you mentioned that the status of your partners are mostly not known, so this puts you in risk of contracting STD or HIV if you get involved in unsafe sexual practices with such partners.

In case of slippage of condoms or breakage of condoms, puts you at risk, which cannot be neglected while having sexual intercourse. First and foremost important thing to do is, to stop the act and wash your genitals with mild soap under running water. Avoid applying any cream or lubricant that can cause irritation to genital skin. Besides this avoid promiscuous behavior.

There is no need to take Truvada (Emtricitabine and Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate) until and unless you know the HIV status of the partner with whom you have had unprotected sex.

  • Truvada is not a medication that can be taken on emergency basis just like an I-Pill. It is an antiviral drug that is prescribed in case of positive HIV results. Hence, it cannot be prescribed before having unprotected sex like an OCP (oral contraceptive pill). It is not meant for prevention of HIV but for preventing progression of worsening of HIV once it has been contracted.
  • Yes, you should get your's as well as your partners blood tests done which should include HIV, chlamydia, trichomonas, gonorrhea, syphilis, candida, herpes, genital warts and hepatitis B and C. For HIV, you need to get yourself tested on day 0, after 12 weeks and then at six months. One should maintain abstinence or safe sexual practices for minimum six months till the tests are done.

Viral infections such as genital warts and herpes can be contracted by even skin to skin contact.

For accidental genital contact, firstly get the STD profile done, and then if required start the treatment for the respective STD that is detected on testing.

  • Herpes can be contracted by kissing as well.

In your case you should use XL size condoms (extra large), which can be procured from a medical store.

Having an unprotected sexual intercourse with a partner who is HIV+ then there is always a risk of contracting HIV, you cannot neglect it or can take chance of not contracting HIV by having sex only for once with such person.

  • Truvada is not meant for prevention of HIV, but for treatment of HIV, as it reduces the viral load, once it has been contracted by having unsafe sexual practices. Long term health risk of Truvada includes renal failure, hepatic failure and bone marrow defects.
  • Yes, applying lubricant with condoms do help, especially the ones which have acidic base, as it prevents immediate spread of STD infections in case of slippage or breakage.

If you are not sure about vaccination and as you are involved in unhealthy sexual practices then you should get your hepatitis B done.

For further clarification consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

There is no need to take Truvada (Emtricitabine and Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate) until and unless you know the HIV status of the partner with whom you have had unprotected sex ...   Read full

I have genital warts on my penis shaft. Will the HPV vaccine prevent me from getting it?

.. understand your concern. Regarding HPV (human papillomavirus), once you get infected, you will always be positive. Symptoms can be on and off depending on the type of HPV you get infected with. If you keep your immune system good, the chances of the re   Read full

How to prevent pregnancy other than using condoms and pills?

.. right in saying that there are other methods of birth control and called calendar method. For a woman, who have 35 days cycle, between 15 to 27 day is unsafe. In case she has irregular periods, then it becomes very tricky.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.