Q. What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Answered by Dr. Bharat Udey and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hiv or Std? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regular boyfriends, then really I do not see statistically being any real chance of contracting HIV or any other STD. I too have had casual sex with a number of such girls. If I continue these activities with multiple partners of the same profile then chance of contracting HIV or STDs should be next to zero. Is this correct? In two situations like condom coming out or breaking, but the sex act being stopped immediately, what would be the chance of my contracting HIV or any other STD? What other immediate preventive measure should I take if the condom breaks or comes out other than stopping the act? Should I take Truvada immediately? If yes, for how many days should I take it to become effective? Does it become effective from day one? Can one take it few days before sexual intercourse and stop it in between and again restart it? Do I need to do any blood test for HIV or other STDs in case the condom breaks or slips out? If so, what are the blood tests that I need to do and with how many days gap? Is there any STD one can get from skin to skin contact without genital contact. Is there any STD one can get from accidental genital contact and what preventive measures should be taken if this happens? Can one get an STD from kissing?

Only once in my life, around two to three years back, I had intercourse without a condom. I had myself tested for HIV six months later and it turned out to be negative. I have not had any symptoms of any STDs, but should I still get myself tested for any STDs and if so, which test should I do? Which condom size should I use? My penis is 7 inches in length and 7.5 inches in girth. Do I use XL or XXL? I do not find any condom which supports 7.5 inch girth. What should I do in this case? It seems that if the partner is HIV+ then it would be a statistically low probability that with one sex act with protection? Would it not be better to take Truvada regularly to be on the safer side? What are the side effects of taking Truvada regularly even if one is not at high risk? Should I use any lubricant with the condom? Should I get a hepatitis B shot? I am not sure whether I have had the shot earlier.