Q. I have sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. Why?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

I am 16 years old female. I urge to pee quite often. I have a sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. I have the urge to pee frequently. But when I go to the toilet, I do not have the urge to pee. Is this due to UTI or STD?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

These symptoms are common in both STD (sexually transmitted diseases) and UTI (urinary tract infections). If you do not have vaginal discharge or any history of unprotected sex, then UTI is the cause. You can confirm the diagnosis with the following tests. You can do urine microscopy and routine examination soon. You can do a vaginal swab for microscopy and culture. Drink plenty of water and keep the area dry and clean. If there is an infection, you can take antibiotics.

| 

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong
Urologist

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

Why do I have vaginal pain during periods?

Query: Hi doctor, What could be the reason for vaginal pain during periods? It happens for a few minutes when the periods start and sometimes on and off on the second and third day. It is happening for many years. My periods are regular. My sonography is normal. I experience a lot of vaginal dryness and ...  Read Full »

My sister is suffering from severe vaginal pain. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I need an opinion regarding my elder sister. She is 52 years old. She is diabetic and is suffering from severe vaginal pain for the last few weeks. While collection of pap smear, the swab was bloody and it was very painful for her. She is currently using Candid cream and Candid V6 tablet ...  Read Full »