Q. I have burning sensation and watery discharge from my vagina. What could be the cause?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am 26 weeks pregnant. And I am having recurrent bacterial vaginosis after using Metronidazole oral tablets and Terconazole vaginal cream for ten days.

Kindly help.

#

I have gone through the details and the reports presented by you (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

You have already taken the medicines needed. Please tell me if you still have the problem then we can decide on the medication based upon the way the pregnancy progresses.

Feel free to reach back with more details.

Thank you for the reply.

My main worry is about the molecular comment. The doctor said that there was no lactobacillus, which could be aerobic vaginitis.

Please help.

#

Thanks for the update. You already had medicines earlier so maybe the treatment was already done by the time you took the test.

Do you have any signs of BV (bacterial vaginosis) now?

I suggest taking iron, calcium supplements and also include green leafy vegetables in your diet.

Please share your level 2 ultrasound scan.

I suggest you not to take any medicines now unless some signs are there for BV.

Please share additional details and feel free to ask questions if any.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for the reply.

I am a little confused with your reply, doctor. I am worried if I have aerobic vaginitis based on the molecular comment in the report, as it has been a month since I stopped antibiotics. Still, there is no increase in lactobacillus in my vagina. I still have an on and off burning sensation and water discharge sometimes. I am also attaching my anatomy scan report.

Please refer and help.

#

Sorry for the delay in reply. It is due to different time zones.

I hope you can understand.

No problem. I am waiting for your answers.

#

I have gone through the details and done some research on the problem presented by you.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for the efforts.

What do you suggest now? I am waiting for your answers doctor.

#

I have gone through the details as we discussed.

The comment is the absence of lactobacillus and it is maybe aerobic vaginitis and may also be due to multiple other factors like post douching of the vagina as well. So what I mean to say is that aerobic vaginitis is one of the many possibilities which may be causing the absence of lactobacillus thus affecting the pH of the vagina.

Molecular interpretation says "results do not favour BV."

However, you have said that you have been experiencing a burning sensation on and off and watery discharge. The good thing is anatomy scan is fine.

Can you please tell me how was the lactobacillus present in any of your previous reports?

How do you wash your vagina? My recommendation is to use a very gentle feminine wash if using ordinary soap or shampoo gels.

Please include probiotics in your diet or take it as supplements.

Further, if there is an increase in burning or discomfort I would suggest Clindamycin but please consult your treating doctor because being an online consultant, I cannot see and physically examine you.

But nevertheless, you are 27 weeks weeks pregnant. And I am sure that you will be fine.

Do not worry you are fine.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

Thank you for the reply. I do not have any other previous reports that tested lactobacillus. I am just using regular water to wash my vagina for the last two months after being diagnosed with BV. I do not douche. However, I rub with a tissue a lot after peeing or so. I started taking vaginal probiotics. My doctor gave me Terconazole 0.4% even though yeast infection is negative in the report and felt fine while using it, and this feeling came back.

Do you think it is better to have an aerobic vaginitis test doctor? What tests will they be doing in general? My gynecologist is against prescribing me Clindamycin in general; not sure why.

During my first pregnancy, my daughter had sepsis after birth. I did not have any vaginitis or infections in that pregnancy, and she was born after 40 weeks and two days. She had to stay in NICU for 15 days. So having an infection is making me more nervous, doctor.

I have attached my daughter's reports for your reference.

I hope you understand what I am going through. My PCP posted that my report is normal, ignoring the molecular comment. I will bring it up with my gynecologist in the next appointment; however, I just wanted to have a second opinion and contacted you here.

Thank you for your time.

#

I now understand that you are so much into stress because of your previous experience.

I hope your daughter is fine now.

Further, I have gone through the reports shared by you, and I do not feel that you need to take so much stress.

Also, you carry the pregnancy ultimately that is upto 40 weeks, and thats a good thing as many females these days, due to various reasons, end up having preterm deliveries.

So do not worry, you are fine.

Do not rub with tissue for so long as you have said, and continue with probiotics.

Although Clindamycin is also prescribed during pregnancy, if your primary doctor is not in favor, do not take it to heart as she may have specific other reasons that she would have arrived upon based upon her experience.

After having seen your reports, I am confident that you need not get stressed and you can stay calm.

Continue with routine activities, and you will be delivering a healthy baby.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for the reply. So, for now, I do not need to worry about aerobic vaginitis? If the condition does not improve after some time, can I visit a doctor?

#

Yes, you are fine now, and you can visit a doctor later if your condition does not get better.Take care and stay positive.Thank you.

|