Q. What home remedies do you recommend for BV?

Hi..I am 19 years old. I have become sexually active within the 6 months for the first time, and have come in contact with the use of douches and different sexual partners. Unfortunately I think I have given myself BV and not realized it. I have a strong odor down there a little bit of itching, but that is about it. I have a video chat call with my gyno next week and an appointment next month. However, given the circumstances it is hard to do much about it. What at home remedies do you, as doctors, recommend because I do not want to make it worse.

#

Hi, How are you doing? Hope you & your loved ones are safe and healthy.

Bacterial vaginosis is due to the imbalance between the healthy and unhealthy bacteria/ organisms in vagina. This balance between good & bad bacteria is needed to protect vagina from new infections. Use of too many antibiotics and douches will kill both bacteria. So we can correct it by replenishing the good bacteria.

1. Stop antibiotics
  2. Use douches only to clean the external area around vaginal opening & the margins of vagina.
  3. You can wash vagina & surrounding areas with Yogurt or curd. These contain Lactobacillus, which is the good bacteria.
  4. Can have oral capsules or lactobacillus acidophilus twice daily for 10 days ( Cap. Bifilac or Sporlac or Ecobion)
  5. Abstinence for 2-3 weeks.
  6. Use condom,till problem is solved
  7. Hopefully your partners have no STDs. There can be secondary infections

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more queries & for your feedback All the best, take care

|