Bad Breath

How can bad breath with gum disease be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very personal and sensitive issue. I have horrible breath. I do have gum disease but my cleaning which consists of flossing several times a day, using a miniature brush to brush between teeth, and using tongue scrapper several times a day (I occasionally oil pull as well). Ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. See the main cause behind bad odor from mouth is due to bacteria present in mouth. There are present several bacteria in our mouth. The bacteria when come in contact with food particles release sulfur compounds which ultimately cause bad brea...  Read Full »

How to get rid of tonsil stones with sore throat and bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have tonsil stones. I have little white things in my tonsil pockets. When I cough them up or manage to get them out, they are whitish or yellowish hard clumps. I have mild sore throats all the time, bad breath (I brush my teeth constantly and I make sure I do not eat food th...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You suffer from tonsilloliths. Tonsils which are lymphoid organs in the throat produce secretions through the crypts in them. In a few people, these secretions calcify and become stones (called tonsilloliths). In a vast majority of people it stays asymptomatic, howev...  Read Full »

What causes bad odor from mouth and nose?

Query: Hello doctor, For a while now I have had a terrible odor that comes out my mouth and nose. The odor is somewhat subtle whenever I am not around a fan, AC, etc. But whenever I am around one of those, the smell seems to spread all around me. I am positive the smell is coming from inside my stomach. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing like leaking gut in the medical dictionary. The bad breath you are experiencing, in medical terms is called halitosis. It is majorly because of poorly kept oral hygiene. It could be an indicator of gum infection, tooth decay, smoking, alcohol, etc. So...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for bad breath even after brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, I brush two times a day, and also whenever I wake up from small nap, I brush my teeth. But, my mouth smells after 30 minutes of brushing. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Start using antibacterial or Chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash. This is best for bad breath, stinking mouth and halitosis. Use three times a day for two weeks. Another very helpful method for the cure of bad breath is saline water mouth rinses. Take a small cup of l...  Read Full »

Is Sensodyne suggested for bad breath and yellow teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem with breath odor and yellowish teeth. How to solve this problem? Can I use Sensodyne toothpaste?  Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breath odor might be due to tartar deposits on the teeth, gum problems, decayed teeth, improper tongue cleaning, frequent intake of onion and garlic, or any gastrointestinal disorders. Yellow teeth might be due to plaque and calculi on teeth, staining due to smoking...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution to control bad breath.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old male. When I talk to someone they said I have bad breath, and do brush and come back again. But I always clean my tongue properly. Most of the people whom I have talked about said I have bad breath.  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Sonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bad breath or halitosis is a common problem. There are a number of potential causes and treatments available. Simple home remedies, and lifestyle changes, such as improved dental hygiene and quitting smoking, can often remove the issue. The best method to reduce hali...  Read Full »

What is the cause for congested sinus, ear pain, tonsillolith and bad odor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I am experiencing the following symptoms: Congested sinuses for about three years. I am on Fluticasone Propionate for this purpose (two sprays, twice a day), swollen tonsils for about one and a half years, tonsilolliths sizing from about 1-2 mm for about on...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your symptoms in detail and also saw the picture that you have sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We need to understand that the nose and throat are connected to the ear by eustachian tube. In your case tonsils are enlarged and hav...  Read Full »

Can non-alcoholic mouthwash be prescribed for controlling bad breath in a smoker?

Query: Hello doctor, Is there a difference in alcoholic and non-alcoholic mouthwash. Which is better at combating bad breath due to smoking than alcoholic? I am in a hygiene school and want to know whether or not to recommend non-alcohol mouthwash for the complaints of bad breath from smoking. I have rec...  Read Full »

Dr. Rachna

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can definitely prescribe alcohol-free mouthwash in such cases, in fact they are better in the patients who consume alcohol and smoke. Alcohol-free mouthwash should not contain Benzalkonium chloride (allergen), Sodium lauryl sulfate, Saccharin, or alcohol. On ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a solution for long term halitosis.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old female. I am suffering from halitosis for the past 15 years. Consulted many doctors and they could not find out the reason. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If it is such a long history, it will surely need good investigation, medication and regular check-ups. And as you are saying it is not possible in your area I can only give you oral home remedies which may or may not work without timely scaling. This condition can ...  Read Full »

I feel bad breath near by root canal treated tooth. Should I get it drilled again?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years ago, I had a problem with one of my wisdom teeth. It caused pulpitis in the front teeth, so I got a root canal treatment on it, but I did not get the wisdom tooth out. The dentist cleaned the cavity on it as well but covered it with amalgam. Recently I started to feel bad bre...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not attached X-ray with this query. Still, it might be an infection near the wisdom tooth. You may need extraction of the wisdom tooth. Send X-ray if possible and use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week or two to remove the smell.   Read Full »