Q. Is Augmentin 625 safe to take during the third week of pregnancy?

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 01, 2019

I am three weeks pregnant, and I am suffering from a chest infection. So an ENT specialist doctor prescribed Augmentin 625 tablet. I wanted to know if it is safe to use this antibiotic, as I am pregnant.

#

• Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) is a category B drug, which otherwise means it is very safe in pregnancy.
  • I suggest taking it along with Cetirizine 10 mg at night if you sneeze a lot. Also, do warm saline gargling if you have a sore throat.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. I am scheduled for my first scan this week. I have thick whitish vaginal discharge, which comes intermittently. Today while passing urine, I saw two such vaginal discharges, one was white and the other was a pale red. Should I be worried or is it normal? This has happened only once, that is today evening. Thank you for your time.

#

• If there is bleeding, then it is a cause for worry.
  • If you have thick curd-like discharge with itching, then kindly consult your gynecologist for examination, to know if there is a vaginal infection. Do not worry.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I just had the early pregnancy scan today. I have attached the scan reports. Could you please go through it, and tell me if everything is fine? I am anxiously waiting for your answer.

#

• Congratulations! Everything is fine. The scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) show a fetus with heartbeats, and approximately 6 weeks and 4 days of age.
  • I suggest taking Folic acid 5 mg once daily, until 12 weeks.

Thank you so much. After hearing the heartbeat during the scan, there will not be chances of miscarriage, right? Miscarriage is very rare, right? I am just a little anxious. Also, my daughter's school is an hours drive from our home. I go in the afternoon to pick her up. I have a driver, but I travel for two hours daily. Is it fine to travel two hours daily, or should I make alternate arrangements for the initial three months? Thank you so much for your time.

#

• Once the cardiac activity is confirmed, then it is the nature which takes its course. Any pregnancy has 12 to 15 % chances of abortion. But do not worry.
  • It is better to avoid traveling for two hours daily, as it causes stress. After three months, you can travel. It is just a precautionary measure.
  • No need for any extra medicine apart from Folic acid. Do not worry. You will have a beautiful pregnancy.

Thank you so much for your kind words. My vaginal area is always wet. So much that it wets my underwear. Is it normal during this time? Should I ignore it?

#

• There might be increased vaginal discharge. But if you feel it is excessive, then get an internal examination done by your gynecologist to rule out infections.

I have a 6 year old daughter, who sleeps with me. She gave me a hard kick on my lower tummy while sleeping. I do not have any blood discharge so far, but my tummy is paining. Am I fine? I am in my seventh week of pregnancy.

#

• The kick from your child is hardly anything. If you continue having lower abdominal pain, it might be due to other causes. I suggest taking tablet Paracetamol 500 mg for pain.

You will be fine.

Dear Doctor,

I am 20 weeks pregnant and since I was always feeling like going to the loo, the doctor here asked me to get the urine culture, which I had sent to you previously and you had confirmed urinary infection , based on the report. I wanted to check if Niftran 100 mg is safe to use during pregnancy ?? The pharmacist said it's equivalent to Martifur 100 mg prescribed by you and is available comapared to the other. Is it safe and can it be taken instead of Martifur 100 mg??

Thanking you,
suz.
# Yes suz, It's the same in a different brand name.

You can use it
Dear Doctor,

I had a couple of queries.

1. I delivered a baby girl on Oct 10th this year. I wanted to know when I may get periods. It’s 2 months after the surgery and periods haven’t come yet. I had opted for ring sterilisation. How long should I wait for periods to come?

2. Since it’s two months after the surgery , can I do Regular exercise??

3. I stopped feeding the baby after 2 weeks of delivery, as my nipples were cracked and I had severe chest infection for which medication had to be taken. After that I didn’t have enough milk and hence didn’t breast feed ? Will not breast feeding cause any issues for me later on ??

Thanking you ,
Suz
# Dear Suz,

1. Periods may come variably . May take anywhere from 3 to 6 months. some don't resume until feeding is stopped. Sterilization method isn't going to affect your resumption of periods.

2. You can do regular aerobics. Avoid heavy weight lifting for 3 to 4 months as it'll weaken the muscles

3. you may try Lactare /Galact granules they've a day with milk.
they're herbal medicines which will increase milk secretion.

Don't worry if you're not feeding. shouldn't be a big problem.

|