Q. Can sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters be prevented?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Sinusitis or Sore Throat? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional sinusitis symptoms of a headache and sore throat, in addition to the dry nose. Days 3 to 5 also cause an orange or white cobblestoning pattern in my throat due to my lymph nodes. I would like to know whether you think this is bacterial or viral, whether or not it is contagious, and whether or not it can be prevented.