Q. Can sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters be prevented?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional sinusitis symptoms of a headache and sore throat, in addition to the dry nose. Days 3 to 5 also cause an orange or white cobblestoning pattern in my throat due to my lymph nodes. I would like to know whether you think this is bacterial or viral, whether or not it is contagious, and whether or not it can be prevented.

#

Most of these attacks start as a viral infection and then become complicated by bacterial infection. These attacks are hard to be prevented completely but the use of seasonal influenza vaccines are helpful and can decrease the number of the attacks. Flu vaccines are taken before the winter season by 2 to 3 months.

|