Q. Can sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters be prevented?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
Published on Mar 04, 2019

I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional sinusitis symptoms of a headache and sore throat, in addition to the dry nose. Days 3 to 5 also cause an orange or white cobblestoning pattern in my throat due to my lymph nodes. I would like to know whether you think this is bacterial or viral, whether or not it is contagious, and whether or not it can be prevented.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Most of these attacks start as a viral infection and then become complicated by bacterial infection. These attacks are hard to be prevented completely but the use of seasonal influenza vaccines are helpful and can decrease the number of the attacks. Flu vaccines are taken before the winter season by 2 to 3 months.

I am having fever on and off. Could this be swine flu?

Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling feverish since yesterday. My sister is not well, and I was around her during the day. She went to a second doctor after 15 days of sore throat, pain, weakness, vomiting, fever, cough, phlegm, and breathlessness. Her new doctor asked her to do a chest X-Ray and CBC. He s...  Read Full »

My husband has extreme shivering and profuse sweating at night. Should we take him to the ER?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband was in a below-freezing weather all weekend, day and night, for military training. Nine of the men he was with went to the hospital for various cold weather injuries. Since coming home, he has been suffering from what seems like a cold in the daytime, but at night, he has extr...  Read Full »