Q. What can be done for swollen labia with pain?

Answered by
Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Aug 23, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 25-year-old female with no children. My husband and I have been together for six years. We have no extra-marital affairs and I am 100 % sure of that. My right labia is swollen and is very painful to touch, even a slight breeze of air causes extreme pain. The pain is similar to a sunburn. It is painful enough to make me cry. The swelling starts from my right vulva next to my vaginal canal and goes all the way to my anus. The area with the worst pain is next to my perineum. This started as a painless lump in the size of a peanut that could be palpated from within my vagina with a finger but not visible externally. This was about a week ago. Now, it is huge and painful.

My labia is three times larger than its normal size and very red. There are no discharges, no foul smells, and it is not itchy. I am managing the pain with Clobetasol topical cream and Mefenamic Acid orally. The pain disappears instantly with the cream but I think it is also making the swelling bigger (steroid?). I am on my third day of Co-Amoxiclav 625 mg (twice a day every 12 hours) but I think this is what caused the swelling in the first place. Also, I tried to do a sitz bath and it only made the condition worse. Just a few hours ago, I had trouble breathing (allergy?). I have never been allergic to any medication before. Any impression or advice would be appreciated.

Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

From the symptoms you described, it sounded like you developed Bartholin gland abscess which is an occlusion of the Bartholin gland duct and that turned to be abscess. Steroid cream is not used for treatment. You need to finish the antibiotic and continue a warm sitz bath three times a day. The abscess will get soft and drain spontaneously. If you had this previously and have the abscess at the same location, it would be better to have a procedure called marsupialization. You can continue Motrin for pain.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What to do for bleeding piles?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my kidney transplant two months ago. Now, I am suffering from piles. Can you suggest me some medicine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you a donor or a recipient? I suggest you apply Smuth cream (Lignocaine) for pain and take a sitz bath. Does it bleed? Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a nephrolo...  Read Full

Kindly suggest a permanent cure for piles.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female suffering from piles. First, it was on and off but now since around a month or so whenever I pass stools it starts paining me and then the pain stays for half a day or so. Then, if I pass stools again the next day, the same thing continues. This is ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You will have to follow a few steps for a few weeks. Avoid nonvegetarian foods. Take plenty of vegetables and fresh fruits. Take sitz bath which means put three spoons of common salt in a small tub of water and sit in that tub morning and evening fo...  Read Full

I have a plum-sized swelling on my face. How do I make it go down?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess on the right side of my face that has swollen up as big as a plum. The reason for the abscess, I guess, is because I have two missing teeth on the side of my mouth. But since there are no teeth there, I want to know what can be done about this abscess? How do I get r...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The abscess is not because of the missing teeth. It can be either because of an infection of the root stem or a cystic swelling related to the salivary gland. If it is only some days old, it can be an infectious swelling and be treated with antibiotics like Augmentin ...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.