Q. How to treat the painless swelling in vagina?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have one-sided swelling near labia majora since one month. I am an unmarried 26 year old female. There is no pain or discharge. I tried warm compress and Candifem ointment for seven days, but there is no much improvement. I have attached photos for your reference.

#

From the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and your history, this seems to be a Bartholin's cyst.

It is swelling of the Bartholin gland situated in the labia majora. It is a benign condition.

• Though at present it is not painful, it might get infected some day to cause pain.
  • I do not want to scare you, but it would be a wiser decision to surgically remove the Bartholin's cyst when it is not infected, as complete excision or removal of Bartholin's cyst is possible.
  • Once it contracts infection, it turns into an abscess causing pain, and complete removal becomes difficult. So, better visit a gynecologist near your area and get it managed early.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|