Q. Can you give some advise on how to pursue with my son's unusual behavior?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

Hi doctor,

My 7 year old son has displayed a very disturbing sexual behavior. As far as I know, the incident was isolated. I am unsure if this is a usual behavior for his age group or not. I thought he was playing video games when I grounded him from them, because he was up in the playroom very quiet. So, I snuck up on him, expecting to catch him playing games. When I looked around the corner, I noticed my son petting our pet cat, with his pelvic area against the cat. I was not sure what I was seeing and I was confused at first. But within a couple of seconds, he started to pull his pants down. He clearly did not know I was right there. He was erect and I am unsure what he was planning on doing. I just shouted and interrupted whatever he was planning. He got scared, was clearly embarrassed and ran to his room immediately.

When I tried to talk to him about it, he would not tell me what he was doing. Instead, he just cried and said he did not want to tell me. The only thing I managed to get him to tell me was that he had a funny feeling down there. I am worried that this is a sign of something more extreme, maybe he has been abused. This seems like extremely unusual behavior. He does not have any other signs or symptoms of abuse and this is the only time something like this has happened. I do not know what to do. I told him that he has to keep his body parts to himself. If he has a funny feeling again, then he should never touch anybody or anything with it. Can you give some advice on where to go to get him help? Should I even pursue further help? Or should I just keep an eye on him and continue to talk to him about keeping our body parts? I do not know what to do, as this is unusual. I am embarrassed to ask anybody about this. I feel as though this is something that should not be overlooked. This does not seem like a typical situation. Please help.



Welcome to

I read your query and understand your concerns.

  • If the incident is isolated, then I think you should overlook the certain incident other than trying to know where he got all this information.
  • There is a good possibility that he has either seen some videos (may be porn) of bestiality or on the lighter side animal mating. It is also possible that he may get this information from some of his peers.
  • Abuse is unlikely as you mentioned that he has no other symptoms of abuse.
  • Regarding his behavior, I think you need to talk to him in alone when he is comfortable. It should be without fear of punishment or any such thing.
  • Providing sexual education is one part of the situation management and I think you have done the right job.
  • In addition, if you decide to keep an eye on him never do it beyond the limits. He may become more secretive and you will never know what is happening in his life.
  • In my view, if he reveals nothing serious, then the issue should be dropped here itself. Experimentation is part and parcel of growing years and we all do it and your child is not an exception.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to stop my daughter's habit of stealing?

.. not worry. Many children at your daughter's age bracket steals. For those children they do not know that the act is called stealing and it should not be done or it is socially embarrassing, etc. For them they are taking something which they liked...   Read full

My cousin is touching me in my private parts. What shall I do?

.. to be sexual abuse as described by you, so keep in mind the following things: Be firm and warn him. If he did not stop, then go straight to your parents, talk to them and tell all other cousins also. Do not allow him for taking any advantages, whi...   Read full

My wife is not interested in sex. How to initiate a sexual relationship with her?

.. your query with keen interest and understand your concerns. Although there are many things to intervene one thing requires immediate attention, which is mismatched sexual interest. There are prevalent myths about sex and sexuality that make it...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

My triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL. Is it necessary to take medicine?
Hi doctor, Recently, I got a lipid profile done, and the triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL, apart from that everything ...  Read more»
My lipid test report shows quite high values. Kindly advice.
Hello doctor, I am 35-years-old. My cholesterol level is 222, triglycerides 87, HDL (cholesterol) 60, LDL (cholesterol)...  Read more»
Triglycerides - Causes, Medications, Symptoms, Risk Factors, and Treatment
Triglycerides are derivatives of glycerol and fatty acids. They might sound simple but the causes and symptoms contribut...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.