Q. My brother is doing crazy things lately. What can the problem be?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 03, 2020

I have a brother And he's been doing crazy things lately. I'm the only one in my family that seems to care. There's really no one else that cares about him and I really need some help on identify what the problem can be. My brother believes he's the one that created heaven and earth. He believes he can bring a dead that's alive. He believes he can move the moon and stars at night. There were times where I witnessed my brother sleeping outside in the grass. He would have candles all around the house.

I'm not sure if it's true but my other brother told me before my brother started acting like this he told him the doctor said he was schizophrenic. I don't know anything about being schizophrenic or anything.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Welcome to icliniq.

I can understand that you are worried about your brother.

From your description , it looks like your brother is having delusional beliefs and related unusual odd behaviour. This can be suggestive of psychosis. Conditions like schizophrenia, bipolar mood disorder can cause these type of symptoms. Also if someone uses illicit substances they can experience these symptoms. Sometimes if present from young age, it can be related to learning disability

It is important that your brother consults his doctor /specialist psychiatrist for a thorough assessment and get treated . Usually medication and therapy will be helpful. Also family support is crucial. Encourage him to see his doctor and help him to avoid becoming isolated. Encourage him to maintain his self-care and daily activities

Take care

|