Q. What is the treatment for chronic belching?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz
Published on Mar 10, 2019

I am a 38-year old male. 6’0" 230 pounds. I have had chronic belching for about a month. This is from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Symptoms decrease when lying flat or sitting still. I belch every time I stand up or sit down. It is almost like a hiccup burp. No other symptoms at all. I have been diagnosed with general anxiety but no other medical issues. I have also been taking Nexium for a few weeks.

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have gone through your query in detail. I would like a few more details about your belching. Do you have reflux symptoms (sour after taste, recently consumed food coming back to the throat on belching, or heartburn) or any vomiting? How are you opening your bowels? Have had an endoscopy (EGD)?

Is it usually that you have a feeling that you need to belch to ease the discomfort in your tummy? Belching is usually a behavioral issue, and can be controlled by behavioral training. The above-mentioned details would help in guiding you about managing your symptoms.

I have not had an endoscopy on this. I really do not feel any stomach issues at all and I have still had a great appetite. There is usually no smell or taste after belching either. Almost like a rumble in the upper stomach followed by a belch, typically a silent belch. No heartburn or vomiting at all. I feel fine other than belching every 5 to 10 minutes.

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

The type of belch that you have is more to do with a behavioral issue rather than any organic issue. The best way to control your symptoms is to change behavior, mainly try to resist the impulse to belch. It might not be easy in the beginning but is certainly an effective approach to control symptoms. The other approach to do simultaneously would be to continue your anti-anxiety medicines if you are on any, or discuss with your physician managing your anxiety symptoms, to start you on anti-anxiety medicines for a short period. Usually to control belching no medicines are needed if you are motivated and attempt to desist the impulse to belch. You can get back to me anytime if you need to.

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

I am suffering from excessive belching for the last 5 years.Please help me diagnose my stomach problem.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I am suffering from excessive belching for the last 5 years. I have done endoscopy and the doctor suggested me acid reflux capsules Nexpro RD 20. I have been taking one capsule every morning before meal, but still I have excessive belching problem. Those capsul...  Read Full »