Q. Can you help interpret my endoscopy results?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My endoscopy shows microscopy A and B - Mucosa of the gastric body and antrum exhibiting mature typical glandular epithelium, areas of mild interstitial edema, focal hyperemia alongside rare inactivated lymphocytes in the lamina. An absence of intestinal metaplasia. An absence of bacilli from the Helicobacter pylori pattern by May-Grunwald Giemsa staining. Conclusion: A - Body light gastritis. Negative search for Helicobacter pylori. B - Antral mild gastritis. Negative search for Helicobacter pylori.

I need to understand my endoscopy results of "focal hyperemia" along with rare inactivated lymphocytes in the lamina.

• Is this an infection with an inactive vírus?
  • Is there a cure?
  • How do I treat it?
#

This term simply indicates there is a little inflammation in your lamina that is part of your stomach.

Hyperemia means there is an increase in the blood flow around the area in lieu of inflammation.

As such, there is no infection based on your reports. Lymphocytes are normal cells of your body. This report does not signify any sort of infection.

The most common infection found in the stomach is H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori) that is absent in your case. Now, to help you better in regard of treatment i need following details first:

• For what symptoms was this endoscopy performed?
  • Any pain in the abdomen or acidity?
  • Any weight loss?
  • Any constipation or loose motions that are persisting?

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

What does “rare inactivated lymphocytes in the lamina” mean? Rare inactivated lymphocytes sound like something that it is not activated? I have performed the endoscopy because I am having ammonia/bleach smell in my nose and the ENT asked for this to see if there has anything abnormal. I have done a nose swab and it was detected Staphylococcus aureus. Now that nothing was found in the stomach, I think that the Staphylococcusis producing toxins which are the reason why I sneak bleach on my nose constantly. What treatment should I have in this case and with the inflammation I have?

#

It simply means that lymphocytes are not active. If there would be any infection, the lymphocytes get activated to kill the infection.

This particular line signifies that you do not have any infection.

The abnormal smell is due to acid reflux and that has caused inflammation and gastritis.

So I would suggest you a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once daily and see the results. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

|