For a BPH patient, what are the side effects of stopping Veltam plus?

Q. What is the harm of stopping Veltam plus in a person with BPH?

Answered by
Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2023

Hello doctor,

My father, 74 years of age, has BPH. He had UTI four years ago and was diagnosed with BPH. PSA was 60 and last three years was on Urimax and past few months on Veltamplus. His PSA is 0.9 prostate size 45 cc and PVR is 70 ml. His symptoms have been the urinary frequency of every two hours all these four years. One doctor has asked to continue the medication. On a recent visit to the second doctor, the new doctor asked to stop the medication. So, I wanted a third opinion. What is the harm if we stop? What is the benefit of continuing it? The medication lowers blood pressure. So, it is down from the 70s to 50s.



Welcome to

I would suggest you continue medicines as at present his flow (which is good) and postvoid (which is less, it should be less only) are because of medicines. I think if he stops the medicines then his urinary symptoms may get worse or postvoid may also increase. There is no harm in taking medicines. Veltam plus (Tamsulosin and Dutasteride) may cause postural hypotension. If he is suffering from severe postural hypotension then he can stop Veltam plus. So harms of stopping are: His urinary symptoms may worsen. His postvoid may increase. He may develop UTI (urinary tract infection). Regarding frequency which is every two hours, I think at 74 years it is fine. Just continue as it is. Because apart from prostate there are many age-related changes in the bladder which cause these symptoms and which are inevitable and irreversible. Until and unless very bad frequency like every half an hour then only intervene. Make some lifestyle changes like drink less water at night before bed. Avoid or reduce drinks which cause diuresis like coffee and tea.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is surgery necessary for a mild benign prostatic hyperplasia?

Is Tamsulosin a viable and effective alternative to surgery for this particular situation ... You can take Tamsulosin for one or two years ...   Read full

Kindly tell me the best medicine to cure prostate enlargement.

.. gone through your query. The symptoms of BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia), if severe can have a negative impact on the sexual drive of the person. The medication that you are currently taking, does not have any effect on libido but itself.   Read full

Semen volume has drastically reduced after Consistam D. Please suggest a remedy.

I was diagnosed with prostatomegaly (enlarged prostate, 2348 gm) with significant post void urine volume (86 ml) ... I think 23 g prostate is not very enlarged ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.