Common "Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is the enlargement of the prostate gland, which is commonly seen in older men. It causes frequent urination, difficulty starting urination, increased urination at night, weak urine stream, incomplete emptying of the bladder, and dribbling of urine.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have IgA nephropathy and elevated creatinine levels. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 57 years old and have IgA nephropathy for the past eight years which is being treated with Cardace 10 mg, Minipress XL 5 mg, Lipitor 10 mg, and fish oil capsules. I had an ultrasound eight months back which showed normal kidneys. Also, I have a benign prostate (grade 1) and not un...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There is a rise in creatinine, but that needs to be vigilant to check if we are missing any reason for the rise. We do not have any medicine to reduce creatinine levels. We need to keep the disease activity under control. Your blood pressure should be 120/80 mmHg. You s...  Read Full »

What are the treatments of benign prostatic hyperplasia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have attached a PDF containing the details of my recent visit with my urologist. I am trying to understand everything that he said for me to do. I think I understand all of it except this: What is he saying about one to nine? They seem to be related to what I am supposed to do. 1. Ta...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. I went through the PDF (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), your questions, and the urologist's notes. For BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) with an overactive bladder, medications are offered and if they fail, endoscopic...  Read Full »

Can prostate enlargement improve with alpha-blockers?

Query: Hi doctor, I have enlarged prostate. Also, my blood urea and creatinine have increased. Will it improve with the treatment of alpha-blockers (Tamdura)?  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Kindly provide your age, creatinine value, and prostate size. Has the digital rectal examination (DRE) and ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureters, and urinary bladder) been conducted? If PSA (prostate-specific antigen) is high or the prostate feels hard on examination, a prosta...  Read Full »

Why do I have lower back pain and urination after sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years old and have suffered from bouts of prostatitis a few times. I have not had an intimate life for many years. Now, I am having an intimate life with one person, who is clean as well as I am. After vigorous sex, I am having frequent urination, especially at night. I was wonder...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to We are here to help you. Yes, your symptoms are consistent with either urinary tract infection (UTI) or prostatic enlargement. In fact, you might have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) contributing to UTI. The second reason can be sexually transmitted UTI a...  Read Full »

What is the best remedy for enlarged prostate with weak urine stream?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52-year-old male. My height is 5.10 feet, and weight is 154 pounds. I have an enlarged prostate problem since age 43 years. My last scan was done before six years, showing 27 cc in volume and a calculus measuring 6.0 mm is seen in the lower pole. Kidney stone is not giving any ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) with lower urinary tract symptoms. Prostate size is not really important some times, people with 20 gm prostate have symptoms and people with 200 gm have no issues. The shape of prostate can cause blockage to urine at any size. Two mai...  Read Full »

I have pain and discomfort in the pelvic area, which aggravates while sitting. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48 year old male. My height is 5 feet 24 inches, and weight is 185 pounds. I have a pain and discomfort in the pelvic area which gets aggravated on sitting, lower back pain, irritation on peeing, burning sensation in the pelvic region which radiates at times to the leg. I have s...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajit Kumar Varma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your history suggests that you have a chronic mild to moderate inflammation of the pelvic organs, most probably the urinary bladder. The possibility of a chronic epididymo-orchitis also has to be ruled out. Please do get the following investigations: CBC (com...  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for mild benign prostatic hyperplasia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 58 year old male. Except for low blood pressure, I am in generally perfect health with mild benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) that has not been getting noticeably worse lately but, has been present for years. While my stream is certainly not like when I was younger, I have no d...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello,Welcome to have gone through your history. If possible, send me a graph of your bladder pressure study and flow. If the bladder pressure is high, then it is better to get operated for the prostate enlargement. A high power or pressure in the detrusor suggests a bladder outflow ob...  Read Full »

I have benign prostatic hyperplasia and urinary issues. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I visited the doctor a year ago and was diagnosed with a UTI. Following a referral to a urologist, I underwent an ultrasound and PSA test, leading to a diagnosis of benign prostatic hyperplasia. I was prescribed Finasteride, and I shared the ultrasound results in our recent consultatio...  Read Full »

Dr. Madhav Tiwari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understood your concern. Regarding the discharge, it may be due to incompletely treated urethritis, possibly caused by a bacterium like Mycoplasma genitalium, which tends to respond better to a different medication, Azithromycin (antibiotic). D...  Read Full »

My semen volume has reduced. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46-year-old male. I was diagnosed with prostatomegaly (enlarged prostate, 0.8 ounce) with significant post void urine volume (86 ml). The doctor prescribed Consistam D once daily. After taking for 40 days, the urge to urination reduced but semen volume and pleasure in sex drasti...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I think 0.8 ounce prostate is not very enlarged. These sexual symptoms are due to Dutasteride. I suggest you take the tablet Tamsulosin. Semen volume is low because of Tamsulosin but that is not a problem (it is called retrograde ejaculation which occurs because of T...  Read Full »

Why was Finasteride prescribed despite no urinary symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year-old male. My only medical history is hypertension (controlled) with Norvasc. I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated: 1. PSA - 9.8 ng/mL. 2. Free PSA - 1.9 ng/mL. 3. Percentage free PSA - 19.4 %. I went back to another doctor a f...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to After analysis of the history provided, I would like to give you a brief idea of the same. Firstly PSA (prostate-specific antigen) varies with age. As the age advances, it keeps increasing. Secondly, in spite of that, the PSA level mentioned in your report is in a...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.