Q. I take Quetiapine XR 400mg. How can I gradually withdraw?

Dr. Bharat Udey
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 11, 2019

I take Quetiapine XR 400mg. How can I gradually withdraw?

#

Quetiapine is an atypical antipsychotic, with a half-life of less than 24 hours. It has a benefit of not causing extrapyramidal side effects. However, it can cause sedation, postural hypotension, and urinary complaints.

Although it does not cause any withdrawal symptoms, it is recommended to stop gradually by tapering over a period of time. As you are taking 400 mg XR formulation of Quetiapine, you can taper it by 100 mg every 2 days until you reach a dose of 100 mg, when you reach 50 mg, take 50mg for one more day and then stop.

However, if you are taking Quetiapine for some psychotic conditions or acute mania/ BPAD (Bipolar Affective Disorder), I would suggest you to consult your treating psychiatrist before tapering your medications, as at times unsupervised tapering can lead to the reappearance of the symptoms.

|