Q. My beta HCG is 5 with a delay in period for one day. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I am a day late for my period. My beta hCG test came back to 4.9, and my doctor wants to repeat it. Am I considered pregnant since HCG is so close to 5?

I have been trying to conceive, and I am currently taking progesterone vaginally during the luteal phase. My basal body temperature remains elevated for 14 days now. But I had a light spotting once 11 days post ovulation (DPO). Please advise.

#

Your question is not very clear, but I will try to address your concern, which I guess is whether it is pregnancy or not based on the beta HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) value and whatever details you mentioned.

As per your doctor's advice, it would be recommended to recheck the values as your present value is just not conclusive enough. If there is a significant rise in the value of beta HCG, then that can be conclusive of you being pregnant. Ideally speaking, if you have regular 28 days cycles, the serum beta HCG value is elevated even four to five days prior to the expected date of periods, that is way before the urine pregnancy test turns positive (which usually happens by the time you skip your periods).

I see that you have been tracking your ovulation days with basal body temperature monitoring, but you had not mentioned any dates like when was the starting date of your last menstrual period (am assuming it must have been 17/8/20). Also, when did you ovulate? And did you check your ovulation by a urinary LH kit, or was a follicular study ultrasound performed, which confirmed the day of ovulation? These dates are important to make a conclusion as to whether the pregnancy is possible or not if checked today and based on the levels on this particular day. Also, it is important to know the regularity of your cycles.

The details you mentioned about spotting 11 days after ovulation raise the possibility of implantation bleeding, but without the dates, it is difficult to conclude whether pregnancy has occurred or not. In such situations, if periods are delayed, it would be better to get it repeated as per your doctors advice to see if the value increases or not, to look for delayed conception. Please mention the details like your last menstrual period date, whether regular or irregular periods, length of menstrual cycles range of irregular date of ovulation, and how ovulation was confirmed to make a better conclusion.

Revert anytime for any further information or doubts.

Repeat beta HCG as per doctor's advice.

Continue progesterone supplements as advised.

Reduce weight.

|