Q. Kindly suggest diet for my 18 months old son with beta thalassemia intermedia.

Dr. Amit Modi
Published on Jun 22, 2019

My son is 1 and a half years old. A few months ago we came to know that his Hb is 4.3 and Hb F is 92 percent and that he has beta thalassemia intermedia. He was immediately transfused once. Now he is taking vitamin C, and Hydroxy and Folic acid and his Hb are 10.2. Please suggest some diet for him to maintain his health.

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

As your child is suffering from thalassemia intermedia, you should avoid giving iron rich food and food that leads to an increase in iron absorption.The foods which decrease its absorption are, (i) cereals and (ii) dairy products. The foods which increase the absorption are, (i) fruit and vegetables rich in vitamin C, (ii) meat, fish, shellfish and poultry and (iii) pickles, sauerkraut, soy sauce, vinegar, and alcohol.

You can also supplement the child with folic acid 1 mg a day. Give nutritious diet and vegetarian protein sources, avoid meat and liver. Have a regular follow-up with your pediatrician for Hb level and iron overload.

| 

I am 6 months pregnant.I have beta thalassemia.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am 6 months pregnant. My hemoglobin level is 8.3g/dL and I have heterozygous state of beta thalassemia. My doctor has advised for blood transfusion. Please help.  Read Full »

My hemoglobin levels are high. Do I need to worry?

Query: Hello doctor,My hemoglobin is 17.3, and total RBC is 6.32. The homocysteine is at 45.3. Is it normal or do I need to worry?  Read Full »

Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case?

Query: Hello doctor, Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case?  Read Full »