Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case?

Q. Kindly guide me about beta thalassemia.

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case? Please help.

#

We are elated to have you on board at icliniq.

Let me explain to you about the beta thalassemia trait. It is good that you are aware of using online health portals. Beta thalassemia trait is a heterozygous condition, and the patient can live a normal life. If nutrition is not maintained properly and if any unusual excess bleeding occurs due to some reason, then sometimes Hb (hemoglobin) levels can decrease, and the patient shall feel weak because of this. As such, thalassemia minor patients will not have any issues that shall hamper their usual lifestyle.

However, you have to take precautions while getting married. Before marriage, you should have your fiancé checked for thalassemia. If she is also having thalassemia minor, then the chances of the baby having a thalassemia major are 25 %. Thalassemia major is a dangerous condition. Hence, keep in mind that your fiancé should also be checked for thalassemia minor before marriage. If you are not having thalassemia minor, then no further testing is required for your fiancé.

Stay safe and healthy.

|