Q. My hemoglobin levels are high. Do I need to worry?

Hello doctor,

My hemoglobin is 17.3, and total RBC is 6.32. The homocysteine is at 45.3. Is it normal or do I need to worry?

#

I went through your post and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are a few significant abnormalities which I will try to address.

1. Your hemoglobin is high but your hematocrit is normal. It is usually seen in people who smoke or live at a high altitude. So, if you are a smoker, you need to quit.
  2. Your vitamin D level is low, for which you will need supplements. Start capsule Lumia 60K (Vitamin D) weekly for six weeks.
  3. Your LFT (liver function test) shows elevated liver enzymes SGOT and SGPT, which possibly is due to fatty liver unless you are alcoholic or have hepatitis.
  4. You need to make lifestyle changes. Take fresh fruits and vegetables and brisk walk for 40 minutes five days a week.
  5. Homocysteine is not an issue, ignore it.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Do I need to do something to get my hemoglobin down? I use to smoke, but I have quit smoking one month back. I have anxiety as well.

#

• If you have stopped smoking, it will come down in the next three to four months which is the lifespan of RBCs.
  • For anxiety, you can take Sertraline 50 mg after lunch or better would be an exercise program to get rid of anxiety.

|