Q. I have grade 1 fatty changes in liver. How to improve my health?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 24, 2019

I am a 33 year old male. Recently, I went for a master checkup. To my horror, I found my liver reports abnormal. I have attached my reports for your reference. The ultrasound of abdomen revealed grade-I fatty changes in liver. Apart from this, my triglycerides levels are also elevated. My cholesterol levels are well within the limits. I am very much concerned. When I consulted a gastroenterologist, he recommended to abstain from meat, egg yellow and sweets for three months and suggested an active life and healthy food. The doctor did not prescribe any medicines. Please suggest me what to do. From the day of results till date, I have abstained from meat and have been doing exercise regularly. Moreover the doctor said that I suffer from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I have never touched alcohol and cigarette. I do not have any bad habits. Please suggest me a way to improve my health. Why is my alkaline phosphatase elevated abnormally? Do I have jaundice? When can I recheck my levels again? I do not have any symptoms like yellowing of eyes, skin and stomach pain, etc. Is there anything serious?

#

It is good to get routine checkup (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you got your problem identified earlier.

• Fatty changes are not good thing. It may lead to cirrhosis.
  • Mild elevation of unconjugated bilirubin suggests syndromes association or hemolysis.
  • Liver enzymes are normal and this is a good thing.
  • Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) has many causes for elevation.

1. Complete blood count (CBC).
2. Reticulocyte count.

Advice from gastroenterologist is absolutely recommended for you; also avoid fatty meal and alcohol. Continue exercise.

We need to avoid some medications, which we will discuss after reports.

Revert back with reports to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I am yet to do my reticulocyte test. But I have attached a few of my reports already done for your reference. I am already avoiding fatty meals and have never touched alcohol or cigarette in my life. When can I recheck my bilirubin levels again? I do not have any other discomfort. I read somewhere that beetroot juice is good for liver. I had a glass of raw beetroot juice for two days in the morning and then had beetroot for lunch few days back, but it resulted in red colored loose stools. Then I stopped it and now it is normal. Can I take Liv 52 to improve my liver health? Please advise me.

#

• It is good that you got the tests done. Reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are normal except fatty changes in liver and elevated triglycerides.
  • You can repeat your liver function test (LFT) right now, so that we can be sure about your bilirubin status.
  • Avoid fatty diet and continue exercising.

Revert back with reports to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Today, I took liver function test. I am really concerned about the results. My bilirubin levels have gone up to 2.9 mg/dL from 2.2 mg/dL. The bilirubin unconjugated is now 0.5 mg/dL from the initial 0.4 mg/dL. The bilirubin conjugated is now 2.4 mg/dL from the initial 1.8 mg/dL. Alkaline phosphatase has come down to 158 U/L from the initial 290 U/L. SGOT has come down to 24 U/L from the initial 39 U/L. Am I having jaundice? Is it contagious? I am planning to visit my family this weekend. Will I transmit it to any of my family members? What should I do? Please guide me.

#

It is good that you are concerned about your health status.

• First thing, it is not contagious. You can visit your family without any problem.
  • It looks like excretory defect in bilirubin pathway, because liver enzymes are normal. But, still we need to find out the cause.
  • When you first noticed the jaundice? Did you have fever followed by jaundice?
  • Is there any clinical jaundice? What is the color of urine and stool? Any pruritus seen?

Revert back with the asked details to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks a lot for your reply. I do not know exactly from when I think it as jaundice. Since, I took the master checkup three months ago; I am aware of my elevated levels. Otherwise, I would have never found out. Even the gastroenterologist I visited earlier said that I do not have any symptoms of jaundice and he did not speak anything about jaundice. He just told me to avoid fatty foods, meat, egg yellow and sweets for the next three months and recheck triglycerides after three months. When I drink lots of water the color of urine is normal; otherwise it becomes slight yellowish. Regarding stools, I am having loose stools. Stools were initially yellow in color, but the color is improving now, though not back to normal color. I do not have any itching sensation. I do not know for how long I am having this elevated bilirubin issue. I am worried very much and I am always thinking of this only. I am staying away from family and managing by making my own food and eating at hotels, but only vegetarian.

#

• It is not a serious condition. Just we need to watch your LFT whether it is normal right now.
  • Probably, it is Dubin-Johnson syndrome. In this syndrome, it causes normal LFT and elevated jaundice without clinical symptoms. You be relaxed. We will repeat the tests on some other day.
  • Now, just get done few viral parameters such as hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg), anti-hepatitis C virus (anti-HCV), anti-hepatitis A virus (anti-HAV), immunoglobulin G (IgG), anti-hepatitis E virus (anti-HEV) and immunoglobulin M (IgM).
  • Continue dietary restriction for fat. Do not avoid family. It will not harm them.

Revert back after the investigations to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|