Q. Please check my son's bilirubin report and advise us.

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Nov 06, 2016

I just want you to check the report of my son, who is 3 days old. Kindly check the report and tell me about his health. Is everything fine in the report?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I can understand your concerns. I have seen the report that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). 

• Today is day 4 of your child and bilirubin total is 8.7 mg/dL and indirect bilirubin is 8.2 mg/dl. This is slightly higher in this age and the child will require phototherapy.
  • Repeat bilirubin levels should be done daily and when it decreases phototherapy should be stopped. At 7 days, bilirubin levels should be below 10 mg/dL.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Is there anything serious? Today, the blood was taken again to test, but we did not receive the report yet.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• This is a very common problem in newborn. By seeing the report, I do not think that it is a serious problem.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My 12 days old son's bilirubin level keeps increasing. What is going on?

Query: Hi doctor, I am really concerned with the bilirubin levels of my 12 days old son. His bilirubin was 14.2 within 24 hours of his birth, so the doctor decided to start phototherapy, which reduced the bilirubin level to 12 and he got discharged. After a day, he turned pale yellow, so we rushed again to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are upset with your baby's condition. Your baby has ABO incompatibility (mother O and baby A blood group) induced exaggerated NNJ (neonatal jaundice). It is a condition where there will be an excessive breakdown of baby's red blood cells than compa...  Read Full

Why the bilirubin level is not decreasing after jaundice attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 72 years old and he is suffering from jaundice. Initially, he was admitted to hospital five months back due to dengue and his platelet count had dropped down to 15,000. Now, he has recovered from dengue but his bilirubin is not decreasing. While getting discharged from th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and in your history, you did not mention about alcoholic history of your father. Is he hypertensive? Is he on any drugs? What about hepatitis A, B and E status? What about ultrasound abdomen status an...  Read Full