Q. My bilirubin level keeps on increasing with negative hepatitis test. What is my problem?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I have jaundice. My biliurubin was 7.5 three weeks ago. I went to the doctor for jaundice. Weekly blood tests as of three weeks show bilirubin has been increasing. Hep test shows I do not have hepatitis. Ultrasound says no tumor bile duct coverage or stones. I took a CT scan and the results show there is no obstruction and pancreas is normal. In other words my body parts are normal.

In two weeks, I will see a gastroenterologist. What do you think I have? I will probably have more blood tests this Monday to check bilirubin levels. I am currently on Hydroxyzine HCl.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, your US (ultrasound) and CT (computed tomography) scan are normal which is kind of satisfying to me. Of course you suppose to have more blood tests to confirm the origin of this jaundice.

Hepatitis, although common, but they are not the only one to cause liver problem there are many other causes such as nonhepatotrophic virus infections as herpes virus, Ebstein Barr virus, cytomegalovirus. Non-viral causes are Wilson hemochromatosis, alpha-1 trypsin deficiency. The causes of predominantly raised bilirubin (jaundice) with normal CT scan suggest microscopic primary sclerosing cholangitis, primary biliary cholangitis benign and progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis. The hepatologist will start from blood tests first and at times can be recommended liver biopsy if the blood test does not serve the purpose.

It is possible that you have one of the above or not any of the above. The reason is it is always important to have a clinical history then targeted blood tests and examinations before a hepatologist is able to give you one word specific diagnosis.

Deranged liver function tests.

Deranged liver function tests.

After establishing a diagnosis.

Follow up if want to provide more information and discuss the right approach to each and everyone of above disorders.

| 

We are not sure about my friend's diagnosis. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a general practitioner. I would like to consult with you regarding my friend, who has a normochromic normocytic anemia. His hemoglobin is currently 7.5. His diagnosis is not clear. I have all his laboratory data and bone marrow biopsy as well as aspiration if you want. He used to tak...  Read Full »

Kindly interpret the blood reports taken for fever, sleeplessness and body pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing this letter for my mother-in-law. She is 65 years old and seems to be healthy. Recently she was suffering ill (fever, sleepless at night, body pain, etc.) thus visited a doctor (physician). After a physical examination and studying certain blood tests (that he was suggest...  Read Full »

How can jaundice be treated in a 4-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old daughter with a weight of 12 kg has jaundice for the last 10 days. She is on HepaMerz Syrup and Mosegor-V Syrup. What should be done more to cure her?  Read Full »