Q. Why is sleeping pill not working for my husband?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

My husband has been voluntarily admitted into a mental health hospital for loss of reality, confusion and self-doubt. He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar. However, his triggers and signs started eight days ago and they are working with the medication. However, he did not sleep for the last eight days and is deathly concerning me. Am I over reacting? Do I trust that he will be monitored? Even the sleeping pill they are giving him is not working.

#

If he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, then his sleep disturbance is expected. There is reduced need for sleep in bipolar mania.

As he is in the admission, I do not think there is a need to worry. They will treat him with proper guidelines and if needed, they can use injectable antipsychotics, which will help him in sleep.

He is on Invega or Paliperidone and if the medicine is not resulting in proper improvement, then the best is to change the medicine.

Risperidone, Olanzapine, etc., can be used, which are more potent and help in controlling the symptoms with improvement of sleep. You can talk with his doctor for these medicines.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|