Q. I feel sick and nauseous after taking eight Yaz pills. Are these side effects of taking too many pills?

I decided to use birth control pills two months back. I took the whole pack and then decided I will rather stop, because of all the bad effects that they have on our body. I got my period after I stopped taking the pills, but this month I did not get my period. I had sexual intercourse twenty days back, and the condom broke. I live in a country where emergency pills are not allowed, so I took four Yaz birth control pills in the morning and another four after 12 hours. I do not even know if that works, I read and heard it does. After 3 to 5 days, I managed to get the emergency pill and took it. Now after a week, I feel sick and nauseous. I took the pregnancy test, but it was negative. I feel it is probably too early to tell. Is it possible to get pregnant, even though I had no period the previous month? Or are these just side effects of taking too many pills?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I see you have messed up your hormonal balance.

Your first step was absolutely right. The principle of emergency contraception is that it is a very high dose of progesterone hormone. This is the same hormone produced in the second half of periods after ovulation. This makes the inner lining of the uterus (endometrium) very thick suddenly, by a single dose. This thickness is unfavorable for the possible pregnancy.

So, the embryo that is formed just slips out without a proper place to sit. As it is a single dose, it cannot hold on, and it gives way or falls off, so you will have periods within 7 to 10 days of having pills. This is the same hormone in combination with estrogen in Yaz.

If you recollect, in the second half of periods, you have similar symptoms of nausea, vomiting, heavy headedness, bloated feeling, mood swings, depression, and breasts discomfort. As the hormone has been taken in a high dose, that too on two occasions, the symptoms are exaggerated.

You have to wait for 7 to 10 days after the intake of emergency pills for the bleeding to occur. You can try taking symptomatic treatment for gastritis, like Pantoprazole and Domperidone combination, twice a day, half an hour before food. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine after their consent.

If you have crossed your expected period date by even a day, you can check your urine for pregnancy. Further confirmatory is blood serum beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin).

• Emergency pills are effective if taken within 72 hours, and maximum effectiveness is within 24 hours. When there is a delay of emergency contraception, the best method is to have IUD (intrauterine device), which is effective till five days after sex (only possible if you have had any vaginal delivery till date).
  • I would like to clarify that the safest method is taking hormonal pills. Any of the birth control pills is a combination of estrogen and progesterone, and these are the same hormones produced in your ovary every day. So, how can they be harmful? By taking these pills, you are creating an artificial hormonal atmosphere, where continuous level suppresses the ovulation and results in no pregnancy.
  • Oral contraceptive pills will give 100 % protection and can avoid all these anxious moments. They are to be avoided or used with supervision in ladies with obesity, smokers, liver problems, coagulation problems, and allergy. But I find it absolutely safe for you.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online,--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you so much for your fast reply. So, you think that most likely I feel like this because of taking the pills? My period was due, but it did not start, and also I had sexual intercourse. After which I took Yaz. So you think my period should come sometime this week? I am taking the pregnancy test every day. I am so anxious.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Let me tell you that it was very thoughtful of you to have taken the Yaz on time. Just relax, I am sure you will be fine.

Had you just stopped with two doses of Yaz, you would have already got periods. Periods is just a play of hormones, and you can get periods whenever you like or push it as far as you want with these hormones.

• The doctor who knows this manipulation can control your cycle, but when you have so many pills with same effect one after other, the body gets confused.
  • As I explained, when there is no egg so early in the periods, how can the sperm alone form a pregnancy? If your mind is still not at rest, wait for few days, then have serum beta-hCG, it can diagnose even the smallest of pregnancy anywhere in the body.
  • So just relax, this anxiety can disturb the periods further. Just wait and you will do fine for sure.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|