Q. I have a negative serum beta hCG level. Can I still be pregnant?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I am a 40-year-old dental surgeon with no past or present health issues and I am trying to conceive. I have a regular cycle of 28 days and I have consulted a gynaecologist before who has put me on Clomid for three months. I have also taken all the required fertility tests which show normal values that are needed for conceiving. This cycle I had all the pregnancy symptoms like implantation spotting for two days, tender breasts and lower abdominal mild cramps for a week after spotting. However, I have got a negative urine and blood test, blood hCG level being 1.2 mIU/mL. On the first day of the last period, there was spotting and light bleeding was seen for three to four days. I tested for blood hCG after seven days and it showed <1.2 mIU/mL. I want to know if there is still a chance that I could be pregnant and retest myself after a few days?

#

As your serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) result is also negative it definitely indicates you have not got pregnant in this cycle.

The symptoms you have mentioned could also be possible because of the progesterone hormone secretion in the postovulatory phase which may mimic pregnancy and the spotting could be due to the breakthrough bleed.

A possibility of delayed conception can be taken into consideration but because the serum beta hCG is negative it is ruled out.

I would suggest you get your day two LH (luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), prolactin, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels, fasting blood sugar and postprandial blood sugar levels, and serum AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone) levels and an HSG (hysterosalpingography) done and let me know the results.

The treatment plan would be ovulation induction with a follicular study.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|