Q. Should I take Prevacid in the night for GERD?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 31, 2020

I was diagnosed with GERD six years ago. I have gained 10 pounds of weight and I started having phlegm in my throat. I am coughing more to get the phlegm out of my throat. I am currently taking Prevacid (over-the-counter) once a day in the morning. The phlegm and coughing does not seem to be going away and it is affecting my daily life. Should I take Prevacid at night too? Is there any medication that I can change to or add to Prevacid daily?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• You should try a combination of Lansoprazole and Domperidone for one month.
  • Avoid fasting and having spicy food. Take small and frequent meals.

1. CBC (complete blood count).
2. LFT (liver function tests).
3. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

Dyspepsia (indigestion).

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

Revert back after 15 days to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Should I take both the medicines at the same time or one in the morning and the other before going to bed?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• Combination capsule is available. Please take one capsule before breakfast once daily.
  • Do not take Prevacid (Lansoprazole) or any other medicine at night. Only take the above combination of medicine once daily.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|