Q. Should I take Prevacid in the night for GERD?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan
Published on Apr 22, 2016

I was diagnosed with GERD six years ago. I have gained 10 pounds of weight and I started having phlegm in my throat. I am coughing more to get the phlegm out of my throat. I am currently taking Prevacid (over-the-counter) once a day in the morning. The phlegm and coughing does not seem to be going away and it is affecting my daily life. Should I take Prevacid at night too? Is there any medication that I can change to or add to Prevacid daily?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• You should try a combination of Lansoprazole and Domperidone for one month.
  • Avoid fasting and having spicy food. Take small and frequent meals.

1. CBC (complete blood count).
2. LFT (liver function tests).
3. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

Dyspepsia (indigestion).

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

Revert back after 15 days to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Should I take both the medicines at the same time or one in the morning and the other before going to bed?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• Combination capsule is available. Please take one capsule before breakfast once daily.
  • Do not take Prevacid (Lansoprazole) or any other medicine at night. Only take the above combination of medicine once daily.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in the back of chest with poor bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. I started having a sharp pain in my right arm shoulder which probably originates from the right back of my chest. Also, my bowel movements have not been clear since some time. I took a Pantoprazole with Domperidone, guessing that this might be due to gas.  Read Full »

I feel bloated and breathless. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having stomach problems for the past three days and I have been trying everything and not seem to work. Today I tried Zantac 150 and I feel really bloated and feel like I am out of breath. Is this normal? Please help.  Read Full »