Q. My 19 months old baby is on iron supplement and passing black stools. Should I get her checked?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

My daughter is 19 months old and she passed a dark black putty stool today. She has been taking iron supplements for anemia for three and a half months now, and I have never seen a stool like this before. Should I get her checked over at emergency?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Dark color stool is probably due to iron supplement, you may be not noticed it previously or it may be that yesterday she has given more amount of iron supplement. Dark color stool due to blood is unlikely if there is no underlying liver disease or swallowed blood due to any cause. You need to worry if there is fresh blood in the stool.

Advice:

1. Stop iron supplement for a few days, because you have never seen dark color stool previously. Persistent dark stool despite no iron supplement is abnormal and requires evaluation.

2. Keep a close watch for fresh blood, if you find it, it is necessary to investigate.

3. Post photo of stool if possible.

| 

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full »

I am passing black stools since two days. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am passing black stools since two days. I am on medication since four months. The current medication I am taking is Irozorb and Cranbe. Please suggest me what to do.  Read Full »

I have a runny stomach and black stools after the flu. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had the flu for two days. That included a fever, sore throat, and runny nose with a dry cough. The flu went away and now I just have a cough, but I have developed a rash behind my ears and a runny stomach in which my stool is black.  Read Full »