Q. I am passing black stools since two days. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am passing black stools since two days. I am on medication since four months. The current medication I am taking is Irozorb and Cranbe. Please suggest me what to do.

#

Hello.

Iron in Irozorb can make the stools black or it may be happening due to gastritis or stomach ulcers.

It is the iron that oxidizes and give black color, but it seems like you are taking these medications since four months.

• Did you have black color stools before?
  • Do you have any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting?
  • Did you increase the dose of Irozorb?

Revert with the answers to the surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

I do not have any pain or nausea; however, sometimes I have acidity problems. It has been a week that I have started taking Irozorb.

I was being treated for chronic UTI since three months and my doctor gave me six weeks course for Zovirax 800 mg for HSV1 even when only the IgG was positive.

Does Zovirax make you fat? I have attached my laboratory report for reference.

#

• It seems like the black stools are due to iron in Irozorb. However, it looks like you had low platelet counts as documented before two times, which may indicate slow bleeding (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Why are you taking iron and folic acid supplements in the first place? If it is not an absolute necessity to take Irozorb, then I would suggest stopping it and check by the stool color.
  • Now coming to your second question, if you do not have an active lesion and you have no chances of pregnancy, then using Zovirax (Acyclovir) may not be helpful if you have IgG positive only. Also, it also depends upon how many episodes you had in the past. Zovirax should not make you fat.

For further information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

|