Q. Could gastritis cause black stools?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2019

I have acid reflux problem for the last 5 years. Pain in my throat also happens because of it. For the last eight months, I feel dizzy, vertigo after eating food and sometimes even after drinking water. I have started taking herbal medicines for psoriatic arthritis before six months. Whenever I stop them, I have a normal stool. But, for the last few days, I have black stools and a little pain in the upper stomach too. Is it due to gastritis? Should I consult gastroenterologist? Last time when I took vitamin D supplement with multivitamins this dizziness stopped. My TSH is 4.9, and other reports are normal.

#

We are here to help you.

• Most likely you are being given steroids or painkillers in the form of herbal supplements, and they have the side effect of gastritis that can cause black stools.
  • Black stools can also be caused by multivitamins. In such case scenario, my strong recommendation would be to see a good physician and take proper medicines for psoriatic arthritis known as DMARDs (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs).
  • For black stools and acid reflux, I would recommend you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once daily for a long duration.
  • Dizziness could be due to cervical issues in case your arthritis might be reaching up to your cervical.
  • However, if your black stools persist, then you would need to go for upper GI endoscopy.
  • Your thyroid is within normal range and no need to worry about it.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|