Q. I have poor bladder control even after undergoing ureter lengthening surgery. Why?

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy
Published on Oct 28, 2019

I have poor bladder control for about fourteen years. I underwent bladder surgery to lengthen ureters at the age of five. Medication for bladder spasms taken as needed. I have frequent bladder infections and poor bladder control when laughing or moving. Sometimes it is impossible to control when laughing.

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgery
#

I understand it must be really distressing for you. You have regular cystitis, and incontinence. You also have a history of bladder surgery in the past.

Incontinence (poor bladder control) can be due to a lot of causes: neuropathy, stress incontinence, urge incontinence, cystitis, and bladder diseases. But the good news is it can be controlled with some lifestyle modifications. You need to consult a urologist who can guide you with some pelvic muscle training exercises, also famously known as the kegel exercises. You can even youtube it and practice regularly.

It is better to get yourself evaluated since the cause has to be located. You can go for a cystoscopy test or an x-ray of the bladder (cystogram), and PVR test (post voidal residue test). All these will give a better picture of why you have repeated infections and also guide in the further course of management.

There are certain medicines such as anticholinergics (Oxybutinine), Imipramine (Tricyclic antidepressants), which have some positive effects in incontinence. However, please consult your urologist before taking any medicine. Also, there are some surgical options such as sling procedure, which helps in bladder control, especially in situations where there is some increased abdominal pressure like laughing or straining. So you have plenty of options, but first, get the investigations done and then consult your urologist.

Child Bedwetting: Are You and Your Child Frustrated?

Article Overview: Bedwetting can have a deep physical and psychological impact on your child's health and development. Not only the child but it leads to frustration among all the family members. This article discusses various causes of bedwetting in your child and what questions should be answered by the caregiver for proper evaluation of the problem. Read Article

Dr. Payas Joshi
Paediatrician

Bedwetting or nocturnal enuresis is a common condition in newborns and young children where there is an accidental passage of urine during sleep. At 6 years of age, about 15 % of the children still wet the bed. Expert advice should usually be sought only if the child is more than 6 years old as many...  Read Article

How to get rid of vaginal odor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I have a drooping bladder and I cannot take this smell. My vagina stays dry and sex is painful and hurting. I have the sex drive of an 80-year-old instead of a person in their 20’s. Also, my husband’s semen interferes ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you are struggling with a lot of medical conditions. But the good news is that all of these are easily treatable. Do not worry. PCOS is treated depending on the symptoms. If you are overweight you need to stick to a diet plan, exercise and manage stress...  Read Full

What are the possible causes for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 76 years old. I had an open radical prostatectomy about four months back. Today, I am completely incontinent. I do not smoke or drink. I do hiking and exercise daily. I also do the Kegel exercises faithfully. I have read several ways to do them and I can locate the sphincter mus...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax and do not worry. Urinary incontinence is a major complication of radical prostatectomy. It happens in 90 percent of the patients. Your urinary incontinence is not related to the lake in the abdomen. Usually, urinary incontinence will be present till one y...  Read Full