Q. What can cause increased urinary frequency and incontinence?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

A few months ago after having a couple of falls, my mother was diagnosed with progressive supranuclear palsy by a neurologist.  Last week, she suddenly started to experience urinary incontinence. Over the past few days she has complained of the urge to pass urine quite often and sometimes as much as several times within an hour. When she does visit the toilet, she sometimes passes little or no urine. Last night we got her tested for UTI and the test came back negative. We are concerned and exhausted. We look forward to getting your input. Thank you.

#

The increased frequency of urination and urinary incontinence are due to bladder overactivity.

Your mother should undergo an urodynamic study to know what exactly is happening in the bladder during filling.

I think she will get good benefit by taking antimuscarinics like Trospium hydrochloride or Darifenacin.

For further information consult a urologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|