Is it advisable to have artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Q. I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Answered by
Dr. Raja Ramesh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 28, 2023

Hi doctor,

I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take Cymbalta (for depression), Ropinirole (for restless leg syndrome), Magnesium, and Vitamin D. I suffer from urinary incontinence. I have to use a catheter to urinate, and lately, I have been getting blood in my urine and on the catheter after I remove it. My question involves possible treatments for this. I have frequent UTIs and trying to come up with a way to stop this cycle. Is there any artificial valve that can be surgically placed in the urethra to control when my bladder releases consciously? I read something about a surgical valve replacement used in prostate cancer patients who have had their prostate removed. A control for this valve is placed in the scrotum, and the device apparently replaces the natural valve. I am curious if this surgery could be adapted to treat my incontinence.



Welcome to

Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease. So with time, incontinence may change in either direction, positively or negatively. The best option is what you have been doing. It is called CIC (clean intermittent catheterization). It is adaptable to all stages of disease progression. Artificial urinary sphincter is ideally indicated only in the stable disease like post-prostatectomy incontinence where there will be no progression after two to three years. So, I would not recommend it for multiple sclerosis. Regarding urinary infection, it is bound to occur in anyone on CIC. It needs treatment only when you have symptoms like pain, hematuria, frequency, dysuria, etc. Antibiotics based on the urine culture needs to be given. Once you are asymptomatic, then daily low dose prophylactic antibiotic can prevent repeated infection.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have multiple sclerosis with shortness of breathe. Could paint spray fumes be the cause?

Hello doctor, I had unprotected anal sex with the neighbor lady before three years, and after a week I got jaundice, and it suffered around one month, and I got treatment with some ayurvedic medicines and got relief.   Read full

Why do urinary incontinence more prevalent during pregnancy and menopause?

Hello doctor, I had unprotected anal sex with the neighbor lady before three years, and after a week I got jaundice, and it suffered around one month, and I got treatment with some ayurvedic medicines and got relief.   Read full

Is multiple sclerosis hereditary?

I have one question. I will be going to get proper scaling and new impressions for a new retainer because there’s residual glue on my teeth from my braces, but I wanted to ask, let’s say for example I leave the glue on my teeth and keep my current retainer, will my teeth get damaged from the residual glue?   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.