Q. What is an opacity on the bladder?

Dr. Raman Tanwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

What is an opacity on the bladder? My husband had kidney stones, recurrent urine infections and minimal blood in urine. He had antibiotics and it got cured. He had a scan and was told that opacity on the bladder. When we consulted a doctor, she said that the report is very vague. Another doctor told us that there is a growth on bladder, bowel and pelvis. We are worried now as she mentioned it as cancer growth. Please clarify it.

#

I can understand the apprehension.

• Ideally, one cannot comment on opacity while doing an ultrasound scan. The opacity is actually a labelled hyperechoic in the true sense.
  • Any hyperechoic shadow on the ultrasound scan may depict the presence of calcium, foreign body or a mass in the bladder. Recurrent infections may be a result of either of these.
  • Since cancer is most worrying among all, I would like to know if your husband has been smoking.
  • I would strongly suggest that we get urine for malignant cells checked. It will give you a good hint.

Urine for malignant cytology.

1. Foreign body.
2. Calcification.
3. Malignancy.

For further information consult a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

All the urine tests have come back clear.

#

• Urine for malignant cytology is a separate test. It is not a part of urine routine or microscopic examination.
  • Samples for this test are given around three to five times as the second void in the morning. If possible, send me the reports as an attachment.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|