Q. I had sex for the first time and bled after that. Should I be worried about pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2020

I lost my virginity through unprotected sex. I bleed seriously because it was a day after finishing my menstrual flow and I am still seeing little stain of blood in my pant. I have been worried since though he did not release inside of me. What should I do?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you.

See, some bleeding does take place after first intercourse for many girls due to losing virginity and sometimes due to vaginal injuries/bruises since it is their first intercourse. Please sit on the edge of a bed/chair and try to see if you can locate any injury or bruises etc. If the bleeding is heavy and continues for tomorrow also then please visit a doctor. If you are able to locate light bruises then do not worry it will heal on its own and avoid sex for the next three to four days. If at all you are having sex use barrier contraception like condoms.

Coming to the second part of your question, since it was a day after your menstrual period that you had sex but still there is a probability of you to get pregnant because precum contains some quantity of sperm which can at times result in pregnancy. If you want to avoid any possibility of pregnancy then please take emergency contraception pill like Unwanted 72, etc., which can be taken up to 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.

|