Q. After a fall, nose started bleeding. Is it dangerous?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

Two days ago my father fell on the road facing down. He is 71 years old. He got injured on knee, wrist and his nose started bleeding due to injury. I took him to a local doctor who prescribed a few medicines and gave him tetanus injection. I am attaching the prescription along with this for your reference. Now, he has got few red clots one inch below both his eyes under the skin which seems like blood clot. Should I be worried about it? Do I need to consult someone for it? I am attaching a picture of his face too. Kindly check them and guide me. He is taking medicines for asthma and diabetes.

#

I have checked the pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• Bleeding from nose and clots below eye are dangerous signs of internal bleeding or hemorrhage in brain.
  • I would suggest you to immediately carry out CT scan of head and neck region to rule out internal bleeding or hemorrhage in brain, further treatment and management accordingly.
  • If the reports are found normal, then you can continue with the prescribed treatment.

Revert back with the reports to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Can internal bleeding happen two days after the incident? Would not it have happened immediately?

#

• Yes, it can happen two days later. Actually bleeding may be slow, so it took time to show up below eyes. Also, bleeding from nose started immediately after fall.
  • CT scan becomes mandatory in this scenario to rule out internal hemorrhage.

Revert back after the investigations to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|