Q. I get nosebleeds from time to time for the past five years. What should I do?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Hi Doctor,

I have a nose bleed time to time, and it happens sometimes when I am under stress or pressure. Sometimes when am relaxed it happens too. It started first like 5yrs ago. Then stopped not until recently when I started getting stressed. I have done a CT scan already but awaiting result. I don’t feel any pain, headache, on any part of my head. I what do I do?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Nose bleeding (Epistaxis) can occur because of many reason like trauma, deviated nasal septum, blood disorder, hypertension, liver disease and idiopathic (many times causes are not clear).

Sometime Epistaxis can occur during hot summer or in stress or also in cold dry environment.

One thing you should know what to do when bleeding occur.

1)Lean forward and pinch your nose untill the bleeding stops or until 15-20 mins at the same time apply ice over the nose. Most of the time (around 90 % ) it will stop by doing this only, if it doesn't stops on itself then you have to go to the emergency.

2)Avoid hot and spicy food

3)Avoid nose pricking

4)Avoid forceful blowing of nose

5)Try to be stress free

If epistaxis has occur without particular reason it can resolve spontaneously.

You just have to avoid the aggravating factors causing it like drinking hot water or tea or frequent nose pricking or blowing of nose or sitting in hot for prolonged period.

Hope this will help you Thank you

|