Q. My son has frequent nosebleeds since a head injury four years back. What to do?

Dr. Bruce Eric Hudkins
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

My son fell when he was three years old, and his head was hit by a sharp stone inward. He underwent a CT scan right after and was discharged after few days, but as years pass by, he experiences frequent nose bleed even while sleeping. He is now seven years old. I am worried. Is nose bleeding a long-term effect of the incident, which happened four years ago, or something else? I hope I can get some answers to this.

#

It is not uncommon for children this age to get nosebleeds, along with the elderly. The children usually grow out of it by age 15 or so. It is likely that he might have a deviated septum from the trauma that might need to be addressed in the distant future. For now, I would advise you to use NoBleed. It is a cream that you apply with the tip of the finger (do not use the tips to apply -this will only stir up the bleeding) to the inside of the nasal septum and then "pinch it back" by pinching the nostrils this gently squeezes the cream back. Do this twice a day for a month, then once a day for a month, then once a week. The frequency of the nosebleeds should slowly go down to none. If this persists despite this treatment, then see an ENT for cautery. One tube should do the trick, and it is cheaper than the Estrogen cream that can also work in this situation. Also, make sure his fingernails are trimmed very close over the next 3 to 4 months.

|