Q. What is blighted ovum? Is D&C a must for it?

Dr. Vidya
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

According to my LMP now I am 9 weeks pregnant. I went for USG TV 20 days back and it showed that I was 7 weeks and 2 days and now it would be 8 weeks. USG shown gestational sac with no yolk sac and fetal pole. They said it is BO and to go through D&C. I am confused what to do now. Shall I wait with hope or go through D&C? Please tell me how gestational age will be calculated from LMP or conception day? I am not sure when I ovulated? Please help me out.

#

At 6 weeks and beyond we expect a fetal pole or yolk sac to be visualized on USG. By 7 weeks, we must see the cardiac activity.

If there is no embryo and no heart beat even beyond 7 weeks, we call it a blighted ovum (BO) with only a sac and no contents inside. It can happen due to a chromosomally abnormal gestation and hence does not survive. It regresses on its own.

To date your pregnancy, we calculate period of gestation by LMP (last menstrual period) and then confirm it with an earliest scan within 3 months of pregnancy. In case there is no difference between the two dates or a difference is less than a week, we consider the LMP to calculate the expected date of delivery and period of gestation.

Do not worry, you can conceive again. But no hope with this pregnancy.

Start Folic Acid 5 mg daily for 3 months before next conception. This will help in a healthy embryo, reduce chance of miscarriage and prevent neural defects in the fetus.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

So do you want me to terminate the pregnancy? Or to wait until it expels naturally?

#

This must be terminated. Consult a gynaecologist personally.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|