Blood Coagulation Disorder

Can infections be transmitted through cryoprecipitate transfusion?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is a factor XIII deficiency patient and every month she takes seven packets of cryoprecipitate. I am a bit worried about the side effects of this transfusion. I just read some articles on the internet, which shares the information about the side effects of transfusion. From that ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Infection risk is similar to any other blood product; however, other immune risks are not present. Many people receive more than this and are free from infection. The risk of infection is pretty low and I can say it as billio...  Read Full »

I have recurring nosebleeds for over two months now. Please help.

Query: I have reoccurring nosebleeds for over 2 months now, even before the pandemic. I had a large blood clot about 5-6 inches. A week or two after this instance I saw a dry blood clot again about 3 inches in length. When I had an xray before the pandemic, the doctor said it was sinusitis but after the me...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! We need to first ascertain the cause of the nasal bleed so that the problem is treated in a specific manner. There can be various reasons why your having nasal bleeds in your age group. 1. Accelerated hypertension is one cause which is often missed out - Its always better to get your blood pr...  Read Full »

For a hemophiliac patient, it is necessary to receive coagulants for colonoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son was exposed to warfare chemical in the navy. During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder. He is suffering from hemophilia and is undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow. Should he receive coagulant for this procedure?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: During any procedure bleeding time and clotting time that is prothrombin (PT) and activated partial thromboplastin time (APPT) are always evaluated and then only the procedure is done. If he has no clotting issues at present ...  Read Full »

Why do I have continous vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is having bleeding per vagina following one month of Cesarean section. This is termed postpartum hemorrhage and often creates an emergency. This could be caused by an infection of C-section wound commonly. But, as per your report (attachment removed to pro...  Read Full »

I have minor factor 7 deficiency. Can I play hockey?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old and I have recently been diagnosed with a minor factor 7 deficiency. I was just wondering if it was still alright for me to play hockey.  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Factor 7 deficiency, also known as Alexander's disease, is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern. The levels of the clotting factor in the blood do not correspond to the symptoms exhibited by the individual. The severity of symptoms also vary greatly from indiv...  Read Full »

How to prevent blood clot in case of factor V clotting disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male with factor V clotting disorder. How can I prevent blood clot?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most people with factor V Leiden never have any symptoms. But, some are at a higher risk of getting blood clots, especially in the leg or the lungs. When clots do occur, they can cause, warmth, redness, pain, and swelling in the leg. These are symptoms of a condition c...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for hematoma?

Query: Hi doctor,Before five months, I had surgery for thigh hematoma. Now, the same problem started again. It is increasing in size and painful. Also, there is swelling. Please see the photo attached here.  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hematomas are solved conservatively and only in severe cases when they give compression of an organ are resolved surgically. This is not a big one (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First, you have to find out the cause of hematoma if it is not trauma. I...  Read Full »