Q. I have minor factor 7 deficiency. Can I play hockey?

Dr. Singh Smrita

I am 18 years old and I have recently been diagnosed with a minor factor 7 deficiency. I was just wondering if it was still alright for me to play hockey.

#

Factor 7 deficiency, also known as Alexander's disease, is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern. The levels of the clotting factor in the blood do not correspond to the symptoms exhibited by the individual. The severity of symptoms also vary greatly from individual to individual.

Generally, it is advisable to avoid contact sports due to the risk of bleeding, either external or internal which can be fatal in some cases. I think that it would be better for you to avoid any contact sports. However, I do not know what symptoms led to your diagnosis. You said that you have a minor factor 7 deficiency, which I think should not cause much of a problem with bleeding.

You can get a second opinion from your hematologist who is treating you regarding restrictions on your physical activity if any. Formation of clots is another risk factor for this condition, so that needs to be kept in mind as well.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|