Q. I have minor factor 7 deficiency. Can I play hockey?

Answered by
Dr. Singh Smrita
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 27, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am 18 years old and I have recently been diagnosed with a minor factor 7 deficiency. I was just wondering if it was still alright for me to play hockey.



Welcome to

Factor 7 deficiency, also known as Alexander's disease, is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern. The levels of the clotting factor in the blood do not correspond to the symptoms exhibited by the individual. The severity of symptoms also vary greatly from individual to individual.

Generally, it is advisable to avoid contact sports due to the risk of bleeding, either external or internal which can be fatal in some cases. I think that it would be better for you to avoid any contact sports. However, I do not know what symptoms led to your diagnosis. You said that you have a minor factor 7 deficiency, which I think should not cause much of a problem with bleeding.

You can get a second opinion from your hematologist who is treating you regarding restrictions on your physical activity if any. Formation of clots is another risk factor for this condition, so that needs to be kept in mind as well.

For more information consult a hematologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Should my hemophiliac son receive coagulant for colonoscopy?

During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder ... Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: During any procedure bleeding time and clotting time that is prothrombin (PT) ...   Read full

Why am I having frequent miscarriages?

Please let me know what you see from my results ... Start Iron supplement from now and have a detailed consultation with consultant physician regarding this anemia properly ...   Read full

I started bleeding from my vagina after rough sexual intercourse. Kindly help.

I currently started bleeding from my vagina and I had rough sexual intercourse four times in four days with my partner ... I experienced hip pain yesterday but when I woke up, the pain was gone a...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.