Q. Do infections spread through cryoprecipitate transfusion?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2020

My wife is a factor XIII deficiency patient and every month she takes seven packets of cryoprecipitate. I am a bit worried about the side effects of this transfusion. I just read some articles on the internet, which shares the information about the side effects of transfusion. From that I came to know that the patient may get some infections like hepatitis B, C, malaria or HIV. Do these infections spread through cryoprecipitate product? I know the blood has undergone several tests and then cryo has been extracted from it. I am newly married and your response will help me to decide whether to continue my marriage life or not. If she gets infected in the future, then there are chances of spreading to me as well. So, please help.

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Infection risk is similar to any other blood product; however, other immune risks are not present.
  • Many people receive more than this and are free from infection. The risk of infection is pretty low and I can say it as billion to one.
  • I find nothing wrong and the risk of infection to be remote to anybody receiving any blood product or needle prick accidentally.
  • The rules are really serious about screening for infection from history of donor to various sensitive tests. No risk is taken regarding this as it is a serious offense. This will not affect your married life.

For further information consult a hematologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|