Q. What is the time interval for a diabetic patient to check blood glucose level?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

After how many days a diabetic patient needs to check their blood glucose level? Is the BMR is too low for a whole day diet plan like 1000? Such low calories are sufficient for any patient for the entire day, or do we need to improve something? Also, guide us by giving factors to be considered while providing a proper diet plan.

Do you have a question on Blood Glucose Level or Hba1c?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar

MBBS., DIPLOMA IN DIABETES MANAGEMENT., PG IN DIABETOLOGY (USA
Diabetology

For a person with diabetes on medicines, with stable blood glucose levels, they need to do their BSL fasting and Pp once in six months and HbA1C test every three months. For people with diabetes on insulin, they need to follow the same, but additionally they need to check their BSL on the glucometer before every meal, and accordingly, they need to take the insulin dose. Mainly in people with diabetes, the body is unable to control the high rise in blood glucose after eating a meal. Hence, high carbohydrate (too much of rice, potatoes, sweets) meals should be avoided. Any food product that finally breaks down into glucose. They should eat more fruits, vegetables, proteins. They should drink plenty of water. I hope you find this helpful.

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full >>
Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full

Can blood glucose around 100 to 105 and high lipids cause any nerve related symptoms?
Query: Hi doctor, I have developed symptoms of nerve dysfunction (burning, tingling, etc.) but all the nerve related tests were normal. Over the past 9 to 12 months, my diet was poor, I am about 70 pounds overweight, age 40, and have high LDL. My blood glucose last year was 86, then it went up to 97 by th...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the details given. The glucose levels mentioned are normal. Only 106 mg shows a pre-diabetic fasting level. These levels are unlikely to affect the nerve function. From your information, I get a feeling that you do not have diabetes. Is that right? In tha...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now