Q. What is an acceptable range for blood glucose levels? Some people say the lower end is 70 and some others say the lower end is 130.

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Nov 27, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2018

I have gotten different answers from various different doctors on this question. Maybe, you can give me a straight answer. What is the acceptable range for blood glucose levels? Some people say the lower end is 70 and some others say the lower end is 130. Please explain.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Many types of blood sugar testings are there, and the values for that are different. But worldwide, the most commonly used tests for the detection of diabetes are Fasting Blood Sugar and Post Prandial Blood Sugar.

Fasting blood sugar test is done by taking the blood sample from a patient after a period of fasting. Usually, patients are asked to report for the test in the morning, before breakfast (after about 8 hours of fasting). The normal range of fasting blood sugar is 70 to 100 mg/dL. Anything between 100 to125 mg/dL is considered as Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG) or pre-diabetes. And anything more than 125 mg/dL is considered as diabetes.

Post-prandial blood sugar test is done by taking the blood sample from a patient after a meal. Usually, the test is done after 2 hours after a meal. The normal range of post meals blood sugar should be less than 180 mg/dL. Anything between 180 to 200 mg/dL is considered Impaired Glucose tolerance or pre-diabetic state. And anything more than 200 mg/dL is considered as diabetes.

Hope this answers your query.

| 

Does Nicotine gums increase blood sugar levels in a diabetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetic. Does chewing nicotine gum will increase sugar level? Does stress in the heart increase the sugar level?  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

What treatment has to be followed to reduce higher fasting blood sugar level?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife (55 years) got sugar results fasting 172, and pp 136. What can be the explanation (higher fasting value)? What treatment course to be followed?  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now