Q. I am noticing bloody stools from three days. What could be the reason?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

For the last three days, I have noticed blood in the stools. It is not noticeable at first until the stool starts to separate. It is not thick mucousy, but it is red and mimics blood. I do not have any pain or strain.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

#

• Blood in stool, always calls for a detailed evaluation.
  • Basic investigations, including stool examination, is necessary to confirm it is actually blood and nothing else.
  • Next, blood investigations are to be done to find out its correlation.
  • The most important step is to identify the source and site of blood loss.
  • Fresh blood in stool without pain is usually due to lower intestinal bleed. It is difficult to comment on the diagnosis without supporting investigations. Once the investigations are done, kindly upload the reports, and I will suggest accordingly.

Revert with more information to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

I have attached a picture of what I described. Looking at the picture what can you tell me?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It looks red, but I cannot be sure it is blood, without the reports. Confirmation can be done only after a stool examination.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

What can I feed my wife to increase hemoglobin levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's hemoglobin is only 6.7. Why is it so? What should I feed her to increase Hb level?  Read Full »

Why does my baby poop frequently with gas?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 1-month-old daughter. For the past two days, she passes the poop with more gas. I am breastfeeding her (no top milk). She has developed a rash over her genital area. Can you suggest something for her gas problem and frequently pooping with gas? I think pooping frequently causes ...  Read Full »

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now