Q. I pass blood in stools with a history of constipation. Please help.

Dr. Kumar Sonal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2020

I have had two tags on my anus for the past one year. I also have a history of constipation. Yesterday, I saw blood in stool and that was not normal blood which comes when I have constipation. There was a lot of blood. Today I went to the bathroom two times and again I saw blood in stool both times. First time it was less and the second time, it was again more blood. I am confused about what is happening. I used to experience blood before when I had constipation but that was comparatively less blood. I eat homemade food, nothing from outside. I strictly prefer vegetables and pulses. Still, I am experiencing all this. Please help.

Dr. Kumar Sonal

General Surgery
#

I would need some more details to confirm. How has your lifestyle been over the past 1 year? Any change in the severity of constipation? And what is your age? Do you exercise regularly? Without an examination, it is not possible to say for sure, but the chance of it not being hemorrhoids is quite likely. It would be best to wait for now, if no further episodes and observe for a week. If bleeding increases or persists even after a week, you have to get it examined.

Currently follow healthy practices, eat plenty of fiber (fruits with skin, green leafy vegetables), drink plenty of water (10-12 glasses a day), drink two glasses of warm water as soon as you get up in the morning. Exercise daily for at least 25 minutes with brisk walking. If you are having problems with constipation (hard stool), I shall prescribe you a medication for that.

Chronic constipation with hemorrhoids.

Proctoscopy. Colonoscopy.

Fissure in ano.

Chronic constipation with hemorrhoids.

If hemorrhoids, then stapled hemorrhoidopexy.

Sitz bath, exercises, and high fiber diet.

|