Q. What can I feed my wife to increase hemoglobin levels?

My wife's hemoglobin is only 6.7. Why is it so? What should I feed her to increase Hb level?

Dr. Ritesh Kumar Singh
MD INTERNAL MEDICINE
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

Low hemoglobin is either due to blood loss or the body not being able to form enough blood due to various causes including bone marrow disorders. So, it is better to get her PBS (peripheral blood smear) done.

Meanwhile, in diet and supplements, give her apples, pomegranate, beetroot, green leafy vegetables, and Autrin tablet (Iron, Folic acid, Vitamin B12) once daily.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

From my scan report, can you tell me if I can conceive?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old and married for 4 years now. I am 5.2 and obese. This is my scan report. Can you please tell me if I can conceive this month? I previously had PCOS. Currently, I am using ayurveda medicines. I heard that delayed ovulation rupture does not cause pregnancy. Also, my hus...  Read Full »
Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since your husband has teratospermia (sperm with abnormal morphology), he will have to meet andrologist and get started with medications. For you, I suggest Folic acid sup...  Read Full »

Is brownish discharge a sign of infertility?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I am not sexually active. I had my periods on the 15th of last month and on 29th I had spotting with some blood. After that, I am experiencing brown discharge. It has been three days now. Please help me.  Read Full »
Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  If this is the first time you are facing this problem, then there is nothing to worry about. This could be because of stress, strain, anxiety, work pressure, change of place, a change in climate or low blood count. Just take rest, have healthy food and drink plenty of f...  Read Full »

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?
Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »
Dr. Nageswara Rao
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her condition will improve once her hemoglobin levels go up. She needs to be evaluated for the cause of low hemoglobin. Check her CBP (complete blood picture) with peripheral smear. Also, look for iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Check her blood sugar levels ...  Read Full »

My wife's fitness certificate was put on hold due to low hemoglobin. Can she travel abroad?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife went for a master health checkup. Her fitness certificate was put on hold due to low hemoglobin and other blood test parameters. Her hemoglobin was 8 g/dL, ESR was 25, hematocrit was 26.8, MCV was 62.3, MCH was 18.8, MCHC was 30.0, and RDW was 21.4 %. Can you please chec...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your wife has microcytic hypochromic anemia. The common causes of microcytic hypochromic anemia are iron-deficiency anemia, sideroblastic anemia, thalassemia minor, and anemia of chronic ...  Read Full »

My son's ferritin is low, and he is an athlete. Should he take iron supplements?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a 16 year old son, he runs at the varsity level, for his high school, cross country, and track team. He is a distance runner. He recently had some blood tests done. His hemoglobin was 14.8 g/dL, hematocrit was 44.5 %, and ferritin was 23 ng/mL. I have been told by the team do...  Read Full »
Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will second your pediatrician and reassure you that, iron is for hemoglobin synthesis, and as the amount of hemoglobin is fine and he is actively taking part in long-distance sports I will not supplement iron. If you are being pressurized then the best alternative is...  Read Full »

Can scar reopening after surgery cause urinary problem in hypospadias patient?
My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.
Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?

Also Read Answers From