Q. There is blood in stools and it hurts while wiping. Please help.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

My fiance is having blood in his stool. It is bright red also. He said it hurts while wiping a little. He has had it more than twice a month. His stool is solid and very dark brown. Also, said the blood in the toilet was very noticeable and that when he wiped the toilet paper looked like when you get a bloody nose. Has been having a few stomach aches also.

#

I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concern. Presence of blood in the stool and dark-colored stools indicate that some active bleeding is going on in the proximal part of the gastrointestinal tract. The blood gets digested in the intestine and comes out through the rectum in the form of dark colored stools. I suggest you consult a gastroenterologist as early as possible. He may need endoscopy and colonoscopy to find out the source of bleeding. If he is taking alcohol, tell him to stop it.

Bleeding in the upper G.I. bleed.

Endoscopy and colonoscopy.

|