Is bleeding after 10 days of periods normal in a 17-year-old?

Q. Is bleeding after 10 days of periods normal in a 17-year-old?

Answered by
Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2023

Hello doctor,

My 17 years old daughter had her periods last month as normal for six days. After 10 days, she suddenly got bleeding again. Apparently, it looks like periods. Is it normal? She had this problem of having her periods occurring quite frequently twice a month, but since last year it was going fine. Once a month, just that first two days are very painful with vomiting. I am worried if I need to take her to the hospital for a checkup.



Welcome to

These are teenager menstrual cycles. They can have frequent cycles and anovulatory cycles with premenstrual syndrome (having multiple cyclic symptoms near and around periods like abdominal cramps, mood variations, vomitings, nausea, etc. Yes, you should have a check-up as well but have some precautions also. When she is having periods have simple tablet Ponstan (Mefenamic acid) 500 mg from day two to day five or if symptomatic, can have for total five days eight hourly it will not only reduce pain but also blood flow. For vomitings as well she can have antiemetic like tablet Cyclizine 50 mg eight hourly half an hour before meals. There are many hormonal medications to prevent symptoms as you described but along with Ponstan in menses day you can give her tablet Primolut N (Norethisterone) 10 mg twice daily from day five to day 24 for total three cycles to regulate cycles. She should have it on supplements to prevent anemia as having recurrent bleeding.

She should have complete blood count, thyroid function test to check any abnormality in thyroid and any clotting disorder or anemia. Better to have one abdominal scan if not sexually active with a full bladder. I have considered her virgin. For patient sexually active have different investigations (like transvaginal scan, cervical smear, high vaginal swab, etc). Have healthy nutritious diet with less salt, sugar, oil, and spice. Have daily exercise, yoga or walk. Have recreational activities to have nice emotional health. Collect laboratory reports and discuss with gynecologist here or local.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Why do I have abdominal pain after unprotected sex?

.. appear more of premenstrual syndrome and as you had a day of bleeding with on and off lower abdominal pain off and on. There is likelihood that your menses shall resume again in few days unless you have conceived.   Read full

What can be done to manage severe and uncomfortable abdominal pain during periods?

.. read your symptoms. It looks like the regular pain that comes on during the menstrual cycle. So I just want to know if you have any medical conditions like hypothyroidism, diabetes or any other general medical conditions if you have had any surgery in   Read full

Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

.. is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist .   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.